Hanging heavy cabinets from a brick wall...

Hi all,

I'm making my own kitchen cabinets from particleboard (5/8''). I'm designing the one that will hold a big microwave oven. It will be a diagonal corner wall cabinet. The oven is very heavy so I'm thinking on hardening the basic design of a particleboard box joined by screws (butt joins) by putting some solid wood rails on the cabinet floor to avoid the panels from bending. But I'm also concerned about how to safely hang the cabinet from the wall (brick wall). Can you point me to assembling tips on cabinetry and how to hang wall cabinets? Any hint is welcomed

Thanks in advance Sammy

Reply to
SammyBar

You could hang them by way of a french cleat which is a board ripped in half with a 45 degree cut, one half is attached the wall with tapcons, the other attached to your cab. and the 45s lock together. Should be plenty strong enough.

Reply to
damian penney

I hung a cabinet made out of OSB in a corner that came out about 2' from the corner on each side. Not quite as heavy as particleboard but I had a 32" TV on it with most of the weight in the front or on the diagonal. Used french cleats screwed to the studs, worked great.

Yeah I know, OSB for a cabinet, what a slouch!, sanded it and painted it black and it looked fine. It was temporary until I could finish the built-in made from birch plywood an poplar (doors are all I have left to do).

Anyway, the french cleats held the weight with no problem.

Reply to
RayV

I agree with the french cleat method.

Reply to