Troubles attaching a gas range to kitchen cabinets, and also in English...

Hi all,

I have some problems with my english vocabulary so I need to make some First: Is it "gas oven" or "gas range" the english (american) name for the device that is used for coooking dinner in the kitchen? I mean the device that have integrated a cooktop and a oven. Such device comes in two variants: it is one that is called "freestanding" 'cause it stands on his own feets, and the second variant is supposed to be attached to the kitchen cabinets 'cause it does not have any legs. Which is the american english name for this "attacheable gas oven"? My problem is the following: I'm constructing my own kitchen cabinets and I bought an "attacheable gas oven". I'm looking for instructions on how to attach the device to the holding cabinet. The user guide included in the device specifies the size of the clearings for the holding cabinet but does not tell anything if I need to protect the internal walls of the cabinets with something thermal. My fear is the device contains an oven. May be the hot oven can cause a fire on the cabinet? The cabinets are made of particleboard and painted with oil-based enamel. The instructions from the fabricant specifies a clearing of 40 millimetres from both sides of the oven wich has ventilation openings on both sides but no more. Then I'm looking for some tricks on how do the job, but I'm not capable of select the correct english keywords. I've been googling for images with "gas oven" or "gas range" keywords and all the results I get are the freestanding versions, not the attaceable ones...

So any hint on the correct keywords, or in how the attach such a device to the cabinet is welcomed Thanks in advance

Sammy

Reply to
SammyBar

If it was me, I'd be in touch either with the company that sold me the oven/stove/range, or the company that made it.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

First off, I have to compliment you on your English. It is a much better than any other language that I speak -- or most American speak as a second language.

Second, I want to make sure that we are talking about the same things. Check out this:

Third, are you instructions complete. If so, you are probably okay.

Finally, sheetrock (gypsum) make a pretty good fireproofing. You could install some inside the cabinet opening, but if the instructions are complete, you're probably okay.

Pat.

Reply to
Pat

"SammyBar" wrote

I would try "built in appliances".

And the oven - cook top combination is usually called a range.

At least in the local ads.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

See if this helps.

Pat

What you are describing is called a "drop-in range" if it has no feet. If it has feet, but no finished sides, it is a "slide-in range". If it has finished sides and feet, it is a "freestanding range". In any case, the instructions should clearly show the minimum distance to flammable materials. In the case of my slide-in electric, I was required to leave 1" at the rear. The sides were zero clearance. As long as it fit in the hole, the insulation on the stove was good enough for direct contact with the cabinet.

Check your instructions for some type of phone-in help line. They would rather answer your questions than defend a lawsuit.

Reply to
gw

"Lee Michaels" wrote

The terms; "drop in range" and "drop in stove" are also used.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

we have recently replaced our fitted oven (Neff, electric) and it is a tight fit at the sides. It sits against standard melamine chipboard so is only an outer skin. Clearance at the rear is the one you need to find out about.

We have a drop in gas range above it which just sits in a hole in the counter top, there are little metal clips in the edges of the hole that grip it.

It is much safer to make sure the appliance is not going to have hot external walls than to trust that the installation will be appropriate and not cause a fire.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

My "device" is not exactly that. It is not a oven but "a oven with a cocktop". But the most critical part in terms of security is the oven so I'll check the provided links.

Thanks for your help. Sammy

"Pat" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

SammyBar

Your definitions are very clear. I'd suggest to add them to the wikipedia. I'm not kidding. It was the first place I look for the correct names and nothing about ovens and ranges more than some old pictures and history...

My instructions specifies 40millimetres on each side and on the back. But it does not says anything if the material can be anything or something fireproof...

You are right. I'll try to contact the manufacturer. Our customer support service rates are not very outstanding (Mexico) but anyway I'll try. The manufacturer is Bosch that is a very expensive one so it will be curious to rate their customer support service...

Thank you very much for your hints Regards Sammy

Reply to
SammyBar

Try contacting them via e-mail or website, if you have issues getting in touch through a toll-free number.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

That would almost certainly be the minimum clearance to a combustible material. I have never seen a range specify that you need to add anything as a shield between the appliance and the cabinet. (Unless it was required as part of an installation kit) If you are that concerned, I suppose you could attach some thin sheet metal to the sides of the cabinets. Mine is installed up against bare wood, and when the oven is on, the interior walls of the cabinets on either side get a little warm, but certainly not hot.

Reply to
gw

No importa el tipo de material puesto que la estufa tiene aislamiento integral. Mantenga las distancias dado por las instrucciones.

Reply to
dadiOH

Gracias...

Reply to
SammyBar

If you have not already built the cabinet for it could you not add 10 or

Reply to
Jim Northey

The oven is a BOSCH BE200 20'' drop in range. I did not build the base cabinets yet. In my initial plan the range cabinet was 20'' wide but now I should change all the design to accomodate the extra 80mm. The problem is the kitchen is very small so I arranged all the cabinets to use standard (Mill's Pride/Home Depot) cabinets doors, resulting in a few cm clearance on each wall. But I think I'll stretch the cabinets on each side of the range cabinet but still remain the doors on the standard size. Then the doors will close over the range cabinet and it will look like the range cabinet was

20'' wide.

Thanks Sammy

Reply to
SammyBar