questions regarding two kitchen cabinets is a corner

I am planning on building new cabinets for my kitchen. In one corner, there are two base cabinets that are positioned currently so that they only touch in the front. (leaving a empty space in the actual corner), One cabinet is 15" in width, the other is 24" in width. I want to creat one cabinet (L-shaped) that combines these two cabinets and the dead space.

My question is whether a Lazy Susan will work in this situation, since the cabinets aren't the same width. It would have to be off center. Also are there other options that I'm missing? I want to have easy access to the far back corner,

Rob

Reply to
rlz

You could put in a smaller lazy susan, you'd just be giving up space and that far back corner. Check out the Rev-a-shelf line of products.

Anything you do to get back into that corner will be trading off space for improved access with reduced storage.

RicodJour

Just build one cab all the way to the corner and put a door for aqccess atthe exposed portion. Then look online at woodworkers supply or even rockler, etc. They have all sorts of nice units now that sort of slide in and out, etc.

Here is just one example

SonomaProducts.com

------------------------------------------ Classic problem found in almost every boat galley.

Solution:

Lift out bin top as part of counter top.

Store large bulky items, especially things packaged in flexible bags.

Top access gives you all the bin.

BTDT

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You have two other options besides the current one.

~ A "blind corner cabinet" which, if designed properly (door opening width is a critical design factor) which will indeed lend itself to most lazy susan installation applications.

A "blind corner cabinet" is designed with a wider stile that will be used to abut to the adjacent cabinet in the perpendicular cabinet run. This wider stile also insures clearance for door and drawer hardware in this adjacent cabinet.

~ An angled cabinet, which will provide more reachable, usable space, but is a bit more difficult to build and install.

Here is an example of the use of a blind corner cabinet in a kitchen I'm currently working on for a client.

Although the "adjacent cabinet" in this case is an insulated frame for a ice machine and dishwasher, the principle is exactly the same:

blind corner cabinet was specifically dimensioned/designed to take the following lazy susan:

Swingman

That's definitely doable, but a sailboat is a wee bit different, no? Besides space being at a premium in a sailboat, everything has to be stowed or it ends up on the sole. In your typical kitchen the corners are where the little countertop appliances are stashed, assorted flour/ sugar/tea/coffee containers, etc. The only kitchens I've seen that haven't had a ton of stuff on the counter in the corners are the kitchens in magazines - they've removed all of that stuff to take a better picture! Having to move all that stuff out of the way to reach over and pull something out of a well, well, that back corner will remain semi-dead storage for most people.

RicodJour

Make the 24" door and drawer into a movable kitchen cart. Install two or three full extension drawers into the dead space. This will let you use most of the wasted space.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Hill

Besides space being at a premium in a sailboat, everything has to be stowed or it ends up on the sole. In your typical kitchen the corners are where the little countertop appliances are stashed, assorted flour/ sugar/tea/coffee containers, etc. The only kitchens I've seen that haven't had a ton of stuff on the counter in the corners are the kitchens in magazines - they've removed all of that stuff to take a better picture! Having to move all that stuff out of the way to reach over and pull something out of a well, well, that back corner will remain semi-dead storage for most people.

------------------------------------ If you have to have a bunch of clap trap taking up usable counter space, you have an executive decision to make.

Just how much clutter do you want collecting dust in your kitchen?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

No argument there. It's the same thing with the cabinet storage. People have _way_ too much stuff in their kitchens. Oddly, it doesn't seem to make them better cooks.

RicodJour

We put in a folding door that crosses both cabinet fronts, within is a set of lazy suzan shelves in the pure corner. I angled the back to keep things from falling off the back. In that blind back space are the connection boxes for various wires (phone, ethernet, cable television, etc, that can be reached by removing 2 screws, much better than tearing out a wall. I matched the cabinets by using a narrow on on the wider side. The narrow cabinet (actually 2 side by side) have a whole cabinet slider that holds spice bottles in one and flour, salt, sugar in jars in the other. This has allowed my wife to use the corner for the bread machine, mixer and other baking related stuff and get to her ingredients without having to walk much. That means I get more fresh bread. She uses the corner cabinet for mixing bowls, strainers and smaller cake pans.

I would say that about 80 percent of the space in the area is well used.

Reply to
Doug Houseman