How to clear blocked holes in a gas oven burner?

Had a problem with gas oven a few days ago. Turns out herself had pressed a button to put the oven on timer [1], thus the wretched thing would not ignite. Having discovered this it was easily cured, just press 2 buttons and hey presto! we're back in business. Noticed that the flame was looking rather weak even at full blast. Turn off & let it cool. On inspection there are about 100 holes in the burner assembly and those that are visible are partially blocked, this involved being head & shoulders within the oven[2]. Many totally blocked/invisible. Unblocked some with a set of BOC nozzle cleaners, some more with a very fine pickset. Trouble is that some of the jets are totally obscured by the ignitor and I don't really want to have to delve into the innards/dismantle too very deeply. Is there a brush-on substance that might do the job? I was thinking perhaps caustic soda solution or perhaps some kind of acid. I've no idea what might be blocking the jets, could be spillage from roasting or perhaps a natural build-up of something following years of burning. I don't know but I recall the adage about digging holes and when to stop. Thanks, Nick.

[1] Kitchen is her sanctum santorum, I'm allowed in by invitation only. Good arrangement. [2] At this point herself arrived home from some retail therapy. She exclaimed What are you doing in my kitchen. If you're killing yourself please put the kettle on first.
Reply to
Nick

In my experience of a few gas burning appliances, the main burners just lift out leaving the metering jet and air mix chamber behind.

For the last few years of its life the pilot jet in my conventional boiler used to become obscured by 'stalagmite' of hard black substance. I concluded that this must have come from impurities in the gas. Maybe you have something similar?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

My observations are that just about all hobs are like that, but fewer ovens and grills.

When I moved into my first house my mother passed her old cooker on to me. Several burners, including the grill, had a tendency to blow out if you tur ned the gas on full. It turned out that many of the subsidiary jets used to keep the flame attached had become blocked, and an examination after clean ing showed that this was mainly due to the cleaning compound regularly rubb ed onto the burners... The cooker is still going strong thirty years later. Should this be the cause of the OPs problems it may require some care in wo rking out how to pass the information on...

Reply to
docholliday93

Ovens are also subject to food by-products falling on the burner.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Well this one certainly doesn't and it would be a quite major dismantle to remove the burner.

Who knows? If so I imagine there is foxtrot alpha I can do about it. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

When I moved into my first house my mother passed her old cooker on to me. Several burners, including the grill, had a tendency to blow out if you turned the gas on full. It turned out that many of the subsidiary jets used to keep the flame attached had become blocked, and an examination after cleaning showed that this was mainly due to the cleaning compound regularly rubbed onto the burners... I think this does not apply in my case.

The cooker is still going strong thirty years later. Aaah! This is only fifteen, it needs time to mature.

Should this be the cause of the OPs problems it may require some care in working out how to pass the information on... :)) You may well be right and I always follow the doc's orders. Time for tin hat & gas mask.

Reply to
Nick

Having inspected this as closely as I am able there is no visible sign of accumulated cooking detritus. I suppose this might be burned off and the remains might block the gas jets. Possible but I think unlikely. Back to my OP, how do I clear the jets? Thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

'pricker' ??

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Although I no longer need it for my consumer unit I find the "standby" supply of fuse wire suitable for unblocking all types of small holes

alan

Yes there is. You just take out the burner and clean it.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Are you *sure* about that? Does the burner move around a bit if you try wiggling it? As others have said, gas oven burners (like boiler burners) are in my experience always designed to lift out. OK in this case there may be an igniter and/or flame failure stuff to get out of the way first.

Reply to
newshound

Also try moving a burner that is little used and may not be glued down with spilt liquids. This will show how the stuck one should be dismantled.

Reply to
alan