Panasonic Freeview Recorder

Our 7 y/o and much loved Sony DVR has started to misbehave, and awaits repair.

In the meanwhile, SWMBO stated that we couldn't manage without one. (We rarely watch TV "live" and never watch commercial TV that way) Quite a lot of googling and talking to two retailers and we decided to buy a Panasonic DMR EX86.

*What* a piece of shit.

You can't programme the timer if it's already recording.

You can't delete recordings if it's already recording.

In essence, if it's currently recording, you can't do anything.

Renders it almost unuseable. It'll be going on eBay as soon as the Sony is repaired. Pity I didn't buy it from an online retailer, else I'd have sent it back under the DSR.

Reply to
Huge

I'd take it back to a retailer on the basis of "not fit for purpose" and be prepared to politely and loudly argue in front of other customers.

How much did it cost and did you pay by Credit Card? More than £100 and you can get you money back from the CC Co.

Where did you buy and how long ago? Argos have a 15 day "no quibble" returns policy.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

~£255

Yes.

Richer Sounds and about 2 or 3 weeks, IIRC.

Reply to
Huge

Huge scribbled...

You need to check the reviews on Amazon.

Reply to
Artic

Don't replace it with a Samsung PVR. Samsung make wonderful TVs but my Samsung PVR has the same flaws as your Panasonic.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Indeed. I have a pair of Humaxes, these seem to be generally well thought of.

Reply to
newshound

What's wrong with the Sony? Is it worth the cost a professional repair?

Reply to
Graham.

I but a HUMAX PVR ... superb piece of kit .... does what it says on the tin.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

On 2013-12-08, Artic > watch TV "live" and never watch commercial TV that way) Quite

I did. Not mentioned. That I saw, anyway. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough.

Reply to
Huge

Hope you're not over reacting. Mine's only a cheapo LG but I'm pretty sure I can mark any number of progs to record by selecting them from the guide. I don't need to programme the timer as such

Reply to
stuart noble

Huge scribbled...

It is - in a roundabout way. Several mentions that if it's playing bought movies, the thing locks up.

"...I was aware of some of the comments on here before I ordered this, cons such as not being able to watch Netflix and record at the same time..."

Reply to
Artic

We have separate TVs. Hers has the Humax so I am not fully conversant. Seems to do the job but I prefer the programme guide display on my Topfield 5810.

The power supply electrolytics are a weak point on Toppies. I have just replaced a set at a total cost of £6.50:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

"Artic" > rarely

where you can click on

"Be the first to review this item"

I did and I couldn't get any further cos I don't have an account

Reply to
tim......

Our Humax PVR has just put me FIRMLY in the doghouse. It doesn't store the TV channel for rewinding whilst you watch something recorded - so she's just missed the first 25min of Lewis, and it's _all_ my fault...

Reply to
Adrian

If you're watching a recording, rather than a live channel, how would it know which channel to buffer to allow rewinding?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Its reputed to be very simple to operate as I recall, probably cos it does very little?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've always found them very open to change things myyself, so give it a try, politely. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You can't do that when it's recording. Pops up a window saying "Not possible when recording".

Reply to
Huge

Most PVRs have some issues. My Humax sometimes forgets to record anything and recently some recordings are unwatchable[1]

[1] This may be the signal level rather than the PVR itself.
Reply to
Mark

Undoubtedly this can be a very useful feature when TV schedules are being altered at the last moment, as with the current Mandelaitis.

But quite possibly this isn't a feature all manufacturers will include in all models, as the extra cost as reflected in the final price, isn't justified by the number of times it will come in useful to the average user.

Quite possibly your Sony was overspecced in this regard, or was at at a different price point in their range.

michael adams

michael adams