Amazon orders 100,000 electric delivery trucks,

I'm sure, Amazon as a big business has factored in the the tax write off they will get and by the time the vehicles are in need of expensive repair and battery replacement they have gotten their value for them and tax write off is depleted.

This is far different for the people like me who do not want a vehicle that becomes a huge money pit in 10 years or so. If you do not drive a lot like me, the extra cost of the electric vehicle will not pay for itself in reduced fuel cost in 10 years.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The only downside with my 2006 is no cruise control at all which is a nuisance on long trips.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The nearest rental place with a car I'd want is 45 miles. I'd kill part of a day getting the car, then part of another day taking it back, paying for 7 to 10 days use. Also adds 180 miles total extra driving to a 2400 mile trip. Makes no sense to me when I already have the perfect car in my garage.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You can find studies showing both ways but for the most part, the initial extra cost of an EV is not offset by fuel cost savings. Especially with gas a <$2.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Big factor right now. I've seen a couple of restaurants with charging stations but right now, I don't want to kill two hours sipping coffee in a restaurant or public rest stop.

I think it was in Maryland one of the highway stops had charging available. I just hit the restroom and was on my way with food I brought along.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I wasn't trying to talk you into anything. I was just pointing out that most rentals aren't shit-boxes.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Do you think you'll still be driving in 10 years? You might be using the shuttle bus provided by the assisted living facility by then.

Reply to
Sharky

I'll still be driving. I don't know who will be in charge of stopping.

Reply to
micky

There may be a reduced fuel cost now, but there is a big push to tax the vehicles on the number of miles driven. That is to make up for the 'road tax' that is added to the gas tax.

The government is going to get their money one way or the other.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

It adds about $15,000 and up from what I see, A Leaf is twice what a Versa sells for and they are similar cars. That is not talking about Tesla that is really up there., They say they are shooting for $24k but we will see and I bet that price is firm, not like most cars where the sticker price is just where they start bargaining from.

Dunno really tho. I have no intention of buying another car any time soon and it won't be a new one.

Reply to
gfretwell

I thought you were in Bradenton. There are over a dozen rental car places west of 75.

gfretwell

I have to wonder, down the road if they can make a universal battery that can be sapped out in just a couple of minutes. Instead of a charge, just do a swap.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

When I was driving from St Pete to Md, I did the whole thing in one shot, stopping once or twice for gas. My best time from Clinton to North St Pete (Just over the Frankenstein Bridge) was just a tad over

14 hours. I was hauling ass tho. "Breaker Breaker Good Buddy".
Reply to
gfretwell

That is my experience too but we don't get the bargain bin special from "rent a wreck".

Reply to
gfretwell

Yup

"Micky died peacefully in his sleep. It was the passengers who were hysterical".

Reply to
gfretwell

Just read that California will not allow the sale of new ICE cars by

2035. You can still own one and still sell used ones.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

From what I saw on TV it was the govenor that issued an exective order to that effect. I just wonder if he has that power in the state.

I would think that the ones in California would just go out of state to buy the ICE cars.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If you extrapolate the advances in electric vehicles over the past

15 years forward by 15 years, there'd be no reason to buy a ICE car by then, they'll just be collectors items for oldtimers.

Given the adverse environmental impacts of fossil fuel usage and the obvious nationwide impacts of climate change, it's natural to want to encourage sensible energy use. If you can even find refined petroleum products by then.

As for Mowery's "going to get their money one way or the other", perhaps he can suggest an alternate funding source for the highways and road system we're so dependent upon. At least the current system collects from the road users.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The technology exists. Some of the electric AMV (Air Mobility Vehicles) currently in testing have that capability. Airbus has recently shown proposals for H2 fuel cell aircraft where the fuel cells are loaded like baggage.

All the teslas, as I understand it, have the same basic chassis platform and battery replacement is rather straightforward.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yep.

No chance, there will never be any assisted living for me, I will pull the plug instead.

Reply to
invalid unparseable