Amazon orders 100,000 electric delivery trucks,

A company called Lucid Air has announced a car with a range of 500 miles. That's over 6 hours of driving at 80mph and twice the 300 mile road trip cited above.

Reply to
Dan Espen

And the Tesla S plaid gets 520 miles between charges. At 70mph, that's about 7 hours of continuous driving. Granted, that's a USD140,000 car, but that technology trickles down over time to the lower-end models, including the projected $24k future model 3.

That covers the daily stage length for long trips for the vast majority of people.

Really, that's completely up to you. Given the almost 100% improvement in range for the Model S since introduction, one can expect that the range will be close to your 1200 miles in a few years.

But, because it doesn't work for your one long trip every ten years, doesn't mean that it won't be completely suitable for the vast vast majority of drivers.

And many people today rent for long trips, just to reduce the wear and tear on their own vehicle.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

See, here you make shit up again. Neither the truck nor the electricity it uses is "subsidized".

You mean like every long-haul truck in the country already has?

What are you, ten?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I've no reason to go hunting them but the only charging station I've ever seen was at the Casey Jones museum in Jackson, TN.

After a quick look at their map they mostly seem to be at high end motels. I was surprised that you could get from here to Fargo but with some of the Tesla models doing the speed limit (80) in eastern Montana may leave you nervous.

From here to Twin Falls on 93 would be a very leisurely trip. There are only a couple destination chargers (slow charging like home units).

Even around town I'd be charging it more often than I buy gas.

Reply to
rbowman

Not every ten years but every couple of months. 1200 miles would be good. Even with my stop at 850 miles if a charger was available that would be good too. Same for the 1200 miles back.

I bought a nice car that is very comfortable on long trips. I prefer to put the miles on that instead of some shit-box rental.

Takes time to refine and improve things. Price should get better too. Right now there is no monetary payback but that can change.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If I was considering renting a car for a long road trip, I wouldn't pick a shit-box rental. Rental car companies have vehicles covering every segment of the market.

In normal times, I drive one or more rentals every week. I never get a shit-box, but maybe that's just me.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

My last rental was an Infiniti Q50 (from Avis). Hardly a shit-box, and quite similar to my M37. The time before, it was the high-end Impala, which was also a nice car to drive.

Time, we have. However, as I noted, the current state of the art is suitable for the vast majority of drivers.

I don't know upon what basis you make this claim...

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I drove to Florida 3 years ago, from Maryland. The electric car worked fine but the police told me I was tying up traffic all over the place in

5 states because of my extension cord.
Reply to
micky

Did they say 500 miles at 80? I bet not. You can go fast or you can go far, pick one. The ICE equivalent is gas mileage. You can go a long way in an electric if you have an egg on the "gas" pedal. It is simple physics. Because of the regenerative braking, they actually do better in town than on the highway. That may be why Amazon is making the plunge but I bet that Wyoming delivery contractor will be using an ICE vehicle.

We actually have this discussion here a lot when people talk about gas vs electric golf carts.

Reply to
gfretwell

Really now? Electric Vehicle tax credit

States like California and even Alabama give discounted electrical rates for vehicle charging.

No, I was alive in 1974. Maybe you were asleep when we still cared about gas mileage and they had the 55 mph speed limit. I bet you actually did it believing the government is always right and we were doing it to be "responsible".

Reply to
gfretwell

I know mine won't be. I do too many longer distance trips where I need to refill the tank and don't stop for food at commercial operations, I take what I eat.

And I keep my cars for longer than most, so won't be having an electric vehicle which will need a very expensive new battery or new car sooner.

And don't see the point in paying much more for a car and I normally buy new.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

When we were vacationing a lot we always rented a car on the far end and it was usually an SUV of some kind. Usually if you reserve something like a Rav 4, they will put you in an Edge or even a Suburban if you ask, for the same price. Costco seems to always have the best rate on that. IBM had a hell of a corporate rate with Hertz I could use but it was only on a moderately priced sedan.

Reply to
gfretwell

The price of the car? It seems those "500 mile" electrics cost as much as a Rolls. A $31,000 base price Leaf only brags about 149 mile range. I could live with that for most of my driving but I wouldn't live long enough to buy $31,000 worth of gasoline if the electricity was free.

Reply to
gfretwell

And with this much virus around, your own car is much safer than flying or using the train.

And they will be much harder to find than a gas station because it takes a lot longer to refill.

Me neither and much more risky with this virus around.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

But it remains to be seen what stupid price they want for it and how long it will do that for. And how both compare with an ice car.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

No it doesn?t in the depths of winter when you need heating or in the hottest summer when you need cooling.

When I stop I sleep in the car well away from anyone else and so nowhere near any charger and the last thing I need id others charging around me when I am sleeping.

But it remains to be seen if anyone can do that for a reasonable price and they certainly wont be able to compare with say a used ice car that can do that trivially.

Still a stupid price compared with a used ice which can do that trivially.

No you can not. It isnt hard to see big progress initially, but it gets much harder later.

That is a completely stupid approach given that the long trips produce much less wear and tear on what wears out first, the engine.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

But they don't necessarily have what you want available when you want it. And I much prefer to not have to fart around with a car that I am not fully familiar with on a long trip.

There are plenty that don't do as well as my own carefully chosen car.

The last ting I want is a rental that isnt comfortable to drive all day or night or that isnt easy to sleep in when I need to.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

But the price isn't.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The Tesla 3 base price is about that, with more range. Which isn't much more than any other ICE-based new car.

Instead of talking about the purchase price, talk about the difference between purchase price of an equivalent ICE car.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

%% formulated on Wednesday :

Short trips to the dump, hospital, or the grocery store here. I can go for scenic drives in the hills around here too, I don't expect to need much more than short range 200 mile round trips now.

Yeah, I still have to look into upkeep costs.

Me too, I have a 2001 and a 2006 now, and they are a little 'long in the tooth' as they say.

Reply to
FromTheRafters