Home improvement?

For the lesser skilled

Ed Pawlowski

I like the final picture. The jumble of wires fits in nicely with the wallpaper pattern.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

In the 1st pic with dishwasher, what is that thing under the window ?

Reply to
Anonymous

The outlet?

Reply to
Hawk

I ddin't understand the second one, the little stainless sink the corner with cabinets underneath.

Reply to
micky

Look again and notice how the cabinets and countertop align.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Looks like something to house a curtain or shade but that normally would be above. Slot looks too narrow for a planter.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I assume they are sneering about the fact that the cupboard under the sink sticks out past the counter top on the right hand end.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

One of my wife's favorites was "pros" screwing up and nobody saying anything. The framers screwed up the truss package and there was a 2x4 sticking out into the room. The rockers drywalled around it, the trim carpenter put crown around it and the painters painted it. She caught it doing the QA where another FM looks at a colleague's house. She says guys never look up.

Then there was the house they built in the road. (it was on the wrong side of the survey stakes). Nobody caught that either. They ended up having to replat the road. and swap 4 lots. It was lucky they didn't do the house behind it yet. That is the danger when you are prairie building

Reply to
gfretwell

Everything. The sink, countertop cut, and cupboard should all be parallel. None of them are.

The countertop cut should be the same angle at both ends, but it looks like the left-hand cut is more obtuse than the right-hand cut.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I was wondering the same thing. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Laughed pretty hard!

It's a bad execution of a bad idea. Corner sinks suck.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Oh, yeah. How did I miss that. That would drive me crazy.

Reply to
micky

My question too.

So all they have to do is take it off

Though I'm n ot sure it 's a good idea to put the dishwasher right against the wall. If there's an earthquake it won't open anymore.

It will hit the electric outlet.

Reply to
micky

It wasn't so much a mistake but that the trim guy showed up before the tile floor in the front hall was done. In a house a co-worker was building. So the guy put the baseboards just above the tile where there was tile, and just above the subfloor where there was no tile. I guess you could have a robot do his job.

They had a powder room just off the front hall, and the made the door open inward. So once you were inside you were in the way to shut the door and the door was in the way if you wanted to use the toilet. My house cost 1/3 of what hers did but at least my powder room door opens outward.

Reply to
micky

That is normal in Micky's World.

Reply to
rbowman

Scheduling your trades is perhaps the most important part of building a house. Some you can stack, others need the house to themselves but there is always a sequence that must be followed. It was my wife's specialty. She had the kitchen and bath trick down and was knocking them out almost twice as fast as the guys. When you are building production houses, even expensive ones, time is money. Her typical bonus per house was $4,000 - $6,000 there towards the end. (Based on completion time, under budget and customer satisfaction)

Reply to
gfretwell

Mikey's seen so many done that way it didn't register??

Reply to
Clare Snyder

They suck, but sometimes they're unavoidable. My first house had one, and when we remodeled the kitchen we left the sink in the corner.

I wash every conceivable thing in the dishwasher, so I never spent much time standing at the corner sink.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...