Garden sprayer repair

Hi, I have an old (1950's I think) sprayer much like this one:

When I try to use it, water just leaks out of where the two pump pieces join. I'm assuming there is a washer/seal/gasket missing but I just can't work it out. If anyone has any form of diagram or exploded view, that'd be great to see what's missing. Ta.

Reply to
Grumps

Has Sir taken it apard and examined the compoments, to find out how it works? It's likely to be a worn out (probably leather) cup washer, or some similar thing, as you say. These are still available.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Is it not like a glorified bicycle pump then?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yep, sir has unscrewed it and scratched his head. I took some photos here:

was expecting some sort of seal/washer/etc at point A. The two rings at point B are screwable, but will not come off the shaft. Should there be cup washer between them like D? The nuts at C come off which allows D to be removed.

Reply to
Grumps

The rings at B seem to have wear marks on, so I guess are some sort of sliding bearing surface to keep the whole gubbins reasonably straight. They must have got on there somehow, so I also guess that the whole gubbins to the right of B must unscrew. what does the split pin retain? Regarding A, maybe there's a worn 'O' ring or gland in there? Were the gubbins somehow unscrewed or remoived, both rings B could come off, and then A could also be slid off, and a ring or gland replaced.... The nuts C could be lock nuts to retain a washer, the plastic cup washer and another washer inside it.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Addendum: What does the dark side of A (the top?), the side other than that photographed, look like?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

"The most efficient sprayer on the market. Indispensable for limewashing, creosoting, ..."

It it has been used for that, then I imagine the internal seals, which might have been leather? will have turned solid.

Reply to
Andrew

The manufacturers website does not seem to stock spares for that model, but I would perhaps email them your photos and ask them what is missing or causing your leakage.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It's not actually a sprayer from solosprayers, but my label appears to read Donald Edwards Birmingham.

Reply to
Grumps

Grumps

I'm pretty sure the split pin is just stopping the ball from going up the pipe. There;s a ball valvey thing in there.

I've tried to remove/unscrew the end which would be the obvious way it all goes together, but don't want to stick a pair of mole grips on it.

Reply to
Grumps

that was easy with a screwdriver stuck through that hole where the split pin is. I think it's clear what's missing now. Some seal (o-ring perhaps) appears to be flat!

Reply to
Grumps

that explains it all. A fibre washer and a rubber thing.

Reply to
Grumps

Oh gosh, your ring piece is all cracked and worn! Nasty. Can you make another, I wonder, by cutting one, or moulding one e.g. from high modulus silicone sealant? Maybe an ordinary rubber washer would squidge in the right direction due to the fibre washer. Perhaps parts can still be found somewhere....

Reply to
Chris Bacon

excellent illustrations

Reply to