Stoke on Trent libray

I am trying to get information on if and when the library in Stoke on Trent city will be open. The web site is so complicated i cannot make head not tail of it. Is it me being thick or is it the site at fault? Perhaps some kind person could help. I simply wish to know when I can go to the library and barrow books.

Reply to
Broadback

Apparently they've been open since 12th April?

Andy Burns

Libraries (currently) have different kinds of "open". Few will allow you to wander around, looking for books. Their doors are guarded by masked librarians (or are they Security?) Some claim to have "click and collect", without there being anywhere on their website to "click". Sometimes you can reserve books, and maybe collect them when arranged...

Reply to
Max Demian

The one in our village is open - SWMBO wanders round to choose her books. Me - I use the on-line version.

Reply to
charles

Your library must be more generous than ours if you can borrow by the barrowload. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Quite a few will let you electronically borrow books to use on an e-reader of some sort. Several formats supported by our library.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Ours used to use RB digital, and just as I had got used to it, they went and switched to something called 'Libby' which has all the look and feel of something aimed at 10- year olds.

They didn't even bother to migrate the RB didgital login details.

Reply to
Andrew

OUrs has in recent years flogged off vast amounts of books from their archive stores and almost all the CD's and DVD's. The argument that 'hardly anyone borrows CDs any more' seems a bit over zealous, because they didn't occupy much space anyway.

Reply to
Andrew

Surrey Libraries are on their 4th different system. Currently it's Libby. Unlike its predecessor Libby will allow you to read on more than one device and keep them in sync.

Reply to
charles

However this is a classic case about accessibility and why its going to benefit all users. There are places for pretty web sites and cluttered web sites, but for things that the general public have to access who are not on the web all the time, a simple clear list of services that go directly to a list of the most important information is really the best way to go, in my view. It seems to be the web builders who are out of tune. The old bang for your buck designs may have been fun to do but not so funny when you are in a hurry and just want to know when your garden bin is due to be emptied or the library opening hours. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The site didn't seem to have a skip navigation link, so I linked to the anchor of the relevant paragraph, doesn't your screen reader jump straight there and start reading?

Reply to
Andy Burns