Where can I obtain a new washer for garden pressure sprayer?

Have a look at this garden pressure sprayer for plants:

and the washer or seal in the bottom of the pump tube:

The washer shown is in good condition, but I have a larger sprayer to eactly the same design (one sprayer is from Aldi, the other from Wilko) which I stupidly left the whole winter half-full with white vinegar, and as a result its washer is completely deformed.

But that is the ONLY part that stops the large sprayer from functioning. I need a new washer, cost estimated at 2 pence!

Has anyone ~any~ idea where I might obtain such a washer?

There is the Matabi 5/ 7 Kima/ Style Repair Kit , and probably similar kits, but these are more expensive than the sprayer was new.

The washer diameter is approx 21 mm.

By the way, I've called it a washer, but it's really a one-way valve seal that allows the pump to pressurise the bottle.

Thanks.

MM

Reply to
MM

Is it anything like this?

£3.89
Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Yes, the solid washer/seal in that pic looks the same, although one cannot tell if it's the correct diameter.

However, because one is buying a kit, the price is again more than the price of a new sprayer.

So frustrating when you know that there's a bin of parts somewhere in China with 10,000 of the little buggers in. And for want of a 2p washer, I have to throw away an otherwise perfectly good sprayer.

MM

Reply to
MM

It reminds me of an aquarium air pump check valve. If you live near a pet shop, you might try asking to see some?

There are also a few homemade garden sprayer projects on t'internet. If you have the time and the inclination :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Latest idea: Fix a bicycle inner tube valve in the side of the bottle and pump it up from my bike-specific stirrup pump. It pumps up bike tyres in a few seconds. The bottle is already fitted with a safety valve so it's not going to explode.

Seal off the tube and piston (e.g. hot glue gun) so that the pressure can't escape that way.

MM

Reply to
MM

It might be worth a try, at that. Is it meant to be pressurised once, or continually pumped? I expect bicycle tyre valves are a weird thread, though (if you need to buy nuts), and you'd need a very good seal.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Possibly not applicable in this case, but you can sometimes cast a seal "in situ" using two part silicone rubber (which does *not* adhere to most things), or the DIY type with a layer of cling film or aluminium foil against one or both faces, to prevent adhesion. Or glue the "lid" on permanently with silicone, and drill a hole in the side of the bottle for filling, sealed with a rubber bung.

Reply to
newshound

If the washer is in good condition, as when the sprayer was new, you pump the plunger for about 30 seconds and that will produce a fine spray for at least a dozen house plants. If you need it longer, just pump some more.

I was thinking of something like this:

Or maybe take an old inner tube and cut out the valve, leaving a portion of rubber around the base. Drill a tight hole in the bottle, insert the valve from inside, using long tweezers or long-nose pliers, then use a hot glue gun liberally from the outside to really "melt" that baby in place.

MM

Reply to
MM

Good ideas! I'll look into it later. Thanks.

MM

Reply to
MM

Considering that you think you can get a new sprayer for less than £3.89 (your reply to Danse Macabre's first post in this thread), you do seem to be making very heavy weather of all this. If they're that cheap, just go and buy a new sprayer FFS!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

But not really in the DIY spirit! And to be fair, a bit of mastic, drill a hole and add a rubber bung (recycled) should leave change from a quid.

Reply to
newshound

No need to swear. Dunno why you're being so abusive. If you haven't got anything useful to add, don't respond. Simples.

MM

Reply to
MM

Of course, but people like Chris Hogg get angry for no reason, just because they can. They're basically bullies, seeking out new victims.

MM

Reply to
MM

No, simple frustration at your inability to do the obvious. DIY is all very well if it's cost-effective, but your prattling on about various options for fixing something that's so cheap to replace just annoyed me! As for bullying people, ROTFLMAO!

Reply to
Chris Hogg