How can I lift a tree trunk for easier cutting?

Hi all,

Anyone got tips on how to lift a tree off the ground for easier chainsawing? I'm sort of talking about trees that are in a parallel stack and impossible to roll over. I was considering cutting a notch in the end and using a high lift jack to lift up one end, but I've never tried this before (till tomorrow anyway).

-Dean

Reply to
dean

"cant hook" or "peavey".

Reply to
tom

Pry one end with a long bar or a 2 x 4, put a block under and start cutting. Repeat as needed. Sometimes you can get under the center easier and slip in a block of some sort. Just watch the fingers when you do. Push it in from the end, never reach under.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On 24 Sep 2005 20:46:10 -0700, "dean" wrote (with possible editing):

Use a cant hook.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

Reply to
Jarvexel

If you lift one end, you'll have to chainsaw from the bottom.

I'd be thinking prybar, and some thing to slip under the log, a couple feet from the end.

So that the weight of the cut piece is trying to open the cut, instead of trying to pinch your saw.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just think about lifting it in the middle, a foot off the ground. Think of sawing off a couple of feet on each end alternately. Its a logger's dream!

Reply to
dean

I have one of those. Its won't budge anything worth the time to cut.

Reply to
dean

Dean - See PICT0303.JPG on this web page....

I did a lot of chainsaw work after Katrina. In this picture we got TWO saws bound up and needed a 3rd to free them!

Saw on the left was fist to bind up. Initially it looked like this tree was under pressure from a tree and branches to the left and the root ball on the right so I started from the top. I was wrong and before I could pull the saw it bound. Second saw, the one on the right, came in from the bottom. That cut should have been proceeded by a relief cut on the top first, but wasn't. You can see the result. We brought in a third saw and cut just to the right of the second saw to free the first two saws.

To do what you described we used a bobcat with pallet forks! See

pictures PICT0382.JPG through PICT0386.JPG for how we used a bobcat to get a tree off a roof!

Something cheap, that can be handled by one person, and would fit in the back of an SUV would be ideal! Invent something.

P.S. - Those pictures began uploading to the net 9/27/05 at 9:30AM. if you do not see the images try back a few minutes later and they will be there.

Reply to
No

[...]

(Sorry of this is a dupe post, I'm having newsserver troubles)

Reply to
No

i use a spud bar to roll of lift log and slip a small log under trunk.put a small log beside trunk and use bar as a lever.baileys.com has log rollers with a hook on em to roll logs onto a smaller log /. lucas

Reply to
ds549

  • PLONK *
Reply to
plonker

Here on the farm, I'd just take my tractor loader and a log chain.

Reply to
maradcliff

Good reminder. I do own two saws, and have h ad one stuck at some time or other. The reminder is to bring both sas, even if I only expect to need one.

As it happens, I've got some saw work lined up for some time in the next few days, and i'll bring both saws.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon