Amazon orders 100,000 electric delivery trucks,

While it is technically feasible, hard to see that a one size fits all battery would be viable.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

In Ohio there is an extra $100 registration fee for a hybrid and $200 for all electric. I assume they do it elsewhere or will be doing it in the future.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You have to carefully plan your long distance trip between charging stations as shown by this video:

Think it is about 45 minutes to get a decent charge and you also can structure around meals and sleep.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You cant do that because the initial advances are never sustained with any new technology.

That a lie too with price alone.

How odd that that hasn?t happened with ice cars.

And it remains to be seen if the climate change claims have imploded in that time.

The same claim was made in the 70s and turns out that they still are.

Everyone is a road user, directly or indirectly even if they don?t own a car.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

East of Bradenton. OK, so 25 miles and a $400+$50 toll pass+tolls rental. Still add about $500 to a trip. If my daily driver was a 1976 Pinto,, it would be a good thing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I can see doing it with single, double, triple packs for different vehicles but with changing battery technology it could be 10 or 20 years away. We do it with flashlights, hearing aid this is just a big leap for the industry.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Doesn?t work here, there are in intermediate charging stations. Its bad enough with the lack of gas stations.

Hopeless, takes a minute or two with gasoline.

Nope, what I eat en route takes minutes too and the last thing I want to do is sleep at a busy charging stations.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You can be sure that will be tried. Registration and insurance will be a PITA. When I lived in CT there were a lot of cars from Vermont that did not pay local property taxes. State was going after them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't see that happening. The manufacturers can't even agree on a lug pattern for the wheels.

Reply to
gfretwell

Doesn?t do anything about the other massive problem that when you first use that with your brand new very expensive electric car you swap a brand new very expensive battery for a well used battery and you pay to do that too.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You make it sound like most electricity is not coming from fossil fuels. California just wants to move the smoke stacks out of state.

Reply to
gfretwell

The governor of California will just issue an execrative order that all the electricity to charge the electric cars will come from renewable energy.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Comes down to efficiency. The typical internal combustion engine is only 30% to 30%. The real savings is in the efficiency of the generating plant and transmission loss. A portion will be generated by solar or wind also

How efficient is electricity generation in the US? About 63% of this electricity generation was from fossil fuels?coal, natural gas, petroleum, and other gases. About 20% was from nuclear energy, and about 18% was from renewable energy sources. Steam plats are 25% Hydro plants are 85% Nukes are 55%

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Easy: Batteries not included

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Nope.

Someone has to pay for the new battery and those who don?t to long trips don?t need to use battery swap operations, they can charge it at home overnight.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Its not even really feasible to charge your own battery at home normally and when you are going on a long trip where you want to be able to battery swap, to get one of the swapped batteries before you leave on the trip and return it after you return home because not all long trips return to where you left from and it is hard to see how a battery swap operation would be economically viable given that few would swap batteries much and the battery swap operation would have very high capital costs.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

We'll see. Just like swapping propane tanks for a grill. Won't happen overnight, probably 10 or more years off to make it viable. You need enough cars, you need universal batteries, you need enough volume to make it profitable.

Make a note to discuss this again in September of 2030. They said the horseless carriage was just a fad too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Today you are right. Years in the future it will be different. Battery swap stations will be all over the place. Unless they come up with a 15 minute charge that will get you a few hundred miles. Don't think that Robert Fulton had the best ever mode of transportation. It improved and so will EVs

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It will probably be like Blue Rhino -- 15 pounds of propane in a 20 pound bag.

Reply to
rbowman

I know mine won't be.

I have in mind a long trip around the northeast, but that's not the big reason. Mostly I buy cars that are 7 years old. The cars that are 3 ;years old now will be 7 years old in 4 years. Is there a good electric car in there for me.

And oh yeah, has to be a convertible. That's always the big limitation .

If I buy it used and keep it 7 years, I'm sure to need a new battery.

It's nice that they're quiet, but then I think they put in extra noise, just so pedestrians won't be killed. Haven't we learned anything from the Covid-19 affair?

Reply to
micky