Amazon orders 100,000 electric delivery trucks,

The ICE has been almost the same for over 100 years. There have been two attempts to change it as far as I know. One was the rotary Wankel (however you spell it) with the round and round thing instead of the up and down piston. The other was the turbine. Neither of those made it.

The battery and chargiing will be the hold up on the electric cars.

I was saying that right now people do not have to pay a special tax on the electricity used in the electric cars. To pay for the roads there will be some kind of tax on the cars that most likely will be by the miles driven. What I ment was that right now the electric car owners will some how be charged a special tax to make up the difference over the ICE cars and trucks. I know a fellow in the trucking business. He says he has to keep up with what state the fuel is bought and then used in. Real pain in the neck to do.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Or a Nissan Leaf, if we want to drag this back on topic. You would have to stop to recharge twice before you even got out of Florida. It would take almost a week to get to Maryland (6 or 7 stops to recharge).

Reply to
gfretwell

Tow it to a swap station and pay the core charge?

Reply to
gfretwell

You probably don't want to use Blue Rhino as your model. They charge $20 for 15 pounds of propane. (3.5 gallons) That is $5.71 a gallon.

Will your swapped battery be 75% charged?

Reply to
gfretwell

Every time someone says ICE has gone as far as it will go, they come up with a better ICE. I know people wax lyrically about their 57 Chevy and their old Tower of Power Mercury but I wouldn't own either one of them ... Well maybe the chevy if you lifted the body off and dropped it on a new car chassis.

Reply to
gfretwell

Nothing like those. They don?t wear out with use and don?t cost much either.

Cant see battery swapping ever being viable for a variety of reasons.

And enough silly enough to swap their very expensive brand new battery that costs more than the rest of the new car, for a well used one.

It isnt going to happen imo.

That isnt going to happen either. We don?t even have universal wheels on cars, let alone tires.

And that isnt going to happen either because hardly anyone will actually be silly enough to swap their very expensive brand new battery that costs more than the rest of the new car, for a well used one.

They will charge their own battery instead or not use their electric car for long trips.

Plenty also said that the days of the horse and carriage for other than a hobby were dead too and those were right.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Nope, it will still be by far the most expensive part of your new electric car and wont last anything like as long as the rest of the car.

Not a chance, charging stations may well be.

That may well happen in time.

Yes, but not necessarily in the way you claim.

Plenty claimed that we would all have flying cars by now and in fact we still don?t.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Mazda may bring it back -- as a generator in a hybrid. I remember the wankels at Lime Rock in the '60s. They were vewy, vewy quiet.

Reply to
rbowman

rbowman

Really? I drive about 20 miles per day. I could charge my car every other weekend.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Yes, I agree with you. I was just pointing out the restrictions imposed by all electric.

Videos show a best case scenario. Just imagine a trip where power is down in the area or there are several vehicles in line at the charging station. You're screwed.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

On 9/23/2020 7:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...

Modern coal-fired plants are far better than 25% thermal efficiency -- RDK-8 in Germany is 46%; others are about the same. Even newer non-supercritical will be in the mid- to upper 30's; 37-38% being common although that is now lower for almost all owing to the added environmental controls that have had to been retrofitted that pulls them down.

Bull Run in US which was world's largest at time built in 1967 at about

900 MWe is, iirc, about 42-43%.

--

Reply to
dpb

It's hard to keep a five gallon can of electricity in the trunk.

Reply to
rbowman

This is what I want to know.

gfretwell

I drive less than that but then it really starts to make it hard to amortize the extra cost.. Back when this electric thing really started to take off I looked at the electric kit for my Honda. I couldn't make the money work out.

Reply to
gfretwell

It certainly wouldn't be your "evacuation" car. Imagine if that one charging station was down? (Damaged or simply a power outage)

Before you say it, Florida law requires generators at gas stations on designated evacuation routes but that little generator is not going to charge a Tesla.

Reply to
gfretwell

What is your evidence for that ridiculous claim?

In fact, about half California's energy comes from renewable or carbon-free sources. The bulk of the rest comes from northwestern hydro (wa, ore), a very small about of imported energy from the southwestern states and nat gas (25%).

Scott Lurndal

Ed Pawlowski

Same here. At price equal to the comparable ice vehicle I would buy an electric car. Do not see it in my lifetime.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I notice you round up the things you like and round down the things you don't.

The New York Times was not as sanguine about your energy infrastructure.

You also have some of the most expensive electricity in the lower 48 US. (Up to 45 cents a KWH peak rate from what I hear). The only ones worse are in the Acela corridor because of their NIMBY problems. I pay about 11 cents with no time of use penalty..

Reply to
gfretwell