CPC delivery.

When CPC started their free delivery on everything, it was pretty fast. Usually next day. Really no different from their paid for delivery, or free above a certain value. But not for long.

Ordered up something well above the old limit for free delivery last Friday and it still hasn't arrived.

So it looks like they're recovering the cost of free delivery for small orders by using a cheaper and slower service across the board, unless you pay extra for next day or whatever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They use Royal Mail for small items (mostly) with all that entails.

I have noticed though that UPS have got markedly worse recently - and not just for CPC orders.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I orderd on Sunday eveing - parcel delivered at 10am today.

Reply to
Charles Hope

Agree. Try adding an item that they can't post (aerosol?).

Reply to
Geo

My 2nd last order had a lithium coin battery in it, it came via UPS pretty quickly, adorned with warning labels about not carrying it if the package is damaged etc...

Also ordered on Sunday not arrived today but only a few cables. Website says "delivered" and it changed to that state Monday morning sometime. I think they really mean "dispatched"...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Small lithium coin cell.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It does that if they use un-tracked Royal Mail.

Reply to
Bob Eager

a stockholder of mainly electronic parts who do most of the business by mail order - although there is a "Trade Counter" in Preston.

Reply to
Charles Hope

I think the same is happening on Amazon. The free delivery still says 3 to 5 days but in the past it was normally next day. Recently they seem to wait 4 days before dispatching and then 1 day for delivery.

Reply to
alan_m

From a CPC email I've just received I note they call it "Standard 3-5 Day Delivery". It also says they're extending the end date for free delivery on ALL orders.

I must say I don't begrudge cheap orders taking a few days if I'm not being robbed blind for postage - handy for ordering small odds and sods without having to think of something to hit the old £50 tipping point.

Reply to
Scott M

In message , Charles Hope writes

lots of other stuff as well nowadays

Reply to
Chris French

that's wahy I said "mainly".

Reply to
Charles Hope

business by

Always have done other stuff, most noteably a huge range of white goods spares. Only a tiny fraction is in the catalog, or at least that used to be the case. I've not had need of any white goods spares for quite a while.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I made a 'small' order (£12*) the other day and it arrived next day by co urier (don't know which one though as it was left in the garage as we were out) so it can still happen at those levels.

Mathew

*It would have been even smaller but I always feel guilty taking advantage of their 'free' delivery for very low amounts as it'll inevitably limit the longevity of the offer if it simply proves too costly to provide.
Reply to
Mathew Newton

Think you missed the point. My order value was well above what would have had free delivery before they started free for all - but took 3 working days to arrive. Before, anything qualifying for free delivery (or paid for if below that limit) always arrived here the next day.

Now it would seem the only way to get fast delivery is to pay extra - regardless of the order value.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've seen the prices of lithium batteries at CPC shoot up, presumably because of the free postage thing. Which is a pain if you wanted to buy lots of them.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Yes. As a relatively small customer of theirs, I'd rather go back to the old system of free only above a certain value, and always fast delivery. As I could usually make up any order to above the 'free' point.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, they do. I have had that exact situation.

I placed a $42 order on Wednesday late afternoon, for free 3-5 day delivery, it arrived via UPS at mid-day yesterday, thursday.

Reply to
Davey

Also a small (aka tiny) customer but I've bought more since the free delivery on web orders came in that I would have. It used to take so long to get a big enough order together that I'd have forgotten what the top items on the list were for or the need had gone away or been worked around. The list then gets shorter...

Now if I want just 3 or 4 items with an cost of around a tenner I'll order.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

RIC (Ah, I see!) I suppose they're getting mercenary. How was it delivered? Just had a £20 order (net weight about 3oz!) arrive today, ordered Wednesday delivered by RM 48hr service.

Reply to
Scott M