Screwfix deliveries

Given that this company's registered trademark is "EVERYTHING for the TRADE - NEXT DAY" I was surprised when my first order took two days. But it didn't really matter and assumed everybody has an off day. Next two deliveries were next day so this seemed to be true. But latest order didn't arrive, phoned and they first said next Monday (from a late Tuesday order) before deciding it had been despatched late yesterday. It arrived this afternoon.

2 late out of 4 strikes me as hardly meeting their slogan, although I fully accept it says in the very small print three pages later that this is not guaranteed. Am I a one off or does everybody else find this as well ? - in which case I think a new slogan is needed.
Reply to
G&M

Your experience is about right. Sometimes they leave out items too.

Reply to
IMM

I must have been very lucky then - six orders from Screwfix over the past month and every single one has arrived next day, even when ordered late in the afternoon on the previous day.

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Surely that is misrepresentation, a small print get-out not even on the same page is not sufficient.

Reply to
David Hemmings

I've just had a look at my most recent catalogue, and I don't think it is. what is quoted by the OP is effectively a slogan -and of course if you need a guaranteed next day service you can have it for a few more quid - so it is technically correct. No where on the front does it say 'Free' or 'guaranteed' either.

- I think as much as anything they are selling the point that they have it stock and can get it to you the next day. And IME they do always seem to have stuff in stock.

I don't think it's really correct to refer to the delivery options as being in 'very small print'. It's 2 pages into the catalogue, and the details of the various options is in a panel that takes up about 2/3 page - and the standard delivery quite clearly says 'Fast - usually next day before 6 pm'

Reply to
chris French

That's why I am asking this here. If I am obviously just unlucky that's fine but if everybody is getting deliveries next day less than about say

80-90% of the time I think a call to advertising standards might be in order.
Reply to
G&M

6 Orders, all delivered next day (2 being done at about 5:45pm and delivered by 10am next day on 'free' delivery).

Highly impressed with them and haven't yet had any cause to complain.

And on page 3 it says in large print "FAST - usually NEXT DAY before 6pm - FREE". Hardly small print or hard to understand. Their claim is that everything is ex-stock and therefore they *can* get it to you next day guaranteed - if you pay for it.

David

David

Reply to
David Hearn

I expect the quality of your local couriers depot has as much to do with it as anything. I guess I get 90% of stuff from them next day. Any problems have also been quickly resolved.

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't really see why. They use standard delivery services and you have the option of paying £4 for delivery before 12 the following day.

For the standard delivery they say "usually" the next day.

I'm not sure that there is a legal definition of "usually" other than it would be hard to use the term if less than 50% of deliveries happen the next day. .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm sure that being chewed by a toothless platypus will worry them a lot. They seem to deliver most things as advertised - and if they don't and you speak nicely to the ladies you get the missing bits and a £10 voucher. I really don't see a problem with that.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Virtually all my Screwfix orders have arrived next day. I'm in Bracknell and they are usually delivered via ParcelFarce based in Farnborough - though I think our local ParcelFarce depot might be Reading.

I have seen two ParcelFarce vans drive up our Close almost together before now. Probably Reading and Farnborough overlapping.

PoP

PoP

My God! That is even worse than Basingstoke!

Reply to
IMM

I ordered 8pm tuesday evening- apparently the order arrived on their system in the early hours of wednesday, but then appeared to get "stuck" for all of wednesday. Phoned again Thursday, was told order had been dispatched, but.....still hasnt arrived with me yet (saturday) :((

Only my 2nd order with Screwfix and the first arrived the next day as promised... Am alittle miffed- might well ring em again and get stroppy...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry

Seems to be mostly saying they're okay so far with the occasional c*ck-up, in which case advert is okay.

Reply to
G&M

That's probably got more to do with it than anything. My company promises a similar next day delivery and in theory it should be. Any order received by us by 4:00pm will go out on the van that evening for a next day delivery. However we get a number of emails every day from the carriers informing us of deliveries they couldn't make for one reason or another. All carriers have their problems. We've tried most of them and settled on the one that gives us and our customers the fewest.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Unfortunately, Screwfix reputation with me too a nose dive this afternoon. My friend came across to finish off the plumbing, specially the powershower.

Dead as a dodo... Inspection reveals that the pump is seized solid - must be manufacturing fault.

Mad dash to local B&Q and then to another branch to purchase a replacement so at least we're back on track now.

Will have to ask for refund :-(

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Screwfix don't manufacture showers or pumps - they are a distributor. I therefore find it hard to believe they are necessarily at fault :)

PoP

PoP

It depends where you are, it's the local depot of the delivery service they use (often Parcel Force) that mostly affects how good they are.

I'm lucky and have a good local Parcel Force depot, ScrewFix deliveries are 9 times out of 10 'next day' and usually before 8am as well.

Reply to
usenet

Well okay but they choose the parts they sell so are therefore responsible for overall quality.

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Once my parcel did arrive it rattled. They'd packed some bulbs in bubble wrap but only sealed it with tape in one direction. A bulb had slipped out and filled the whole box with glass. But they did send a replacement next day.

Reply to
G&M