Have I upset Screwfix?

I certainly intend to!

Two days ago a job came up where I needed something urgent from Screwfix. Placed the order (nearly £200 worth!) at 1pm in the afternoon, and raised the ante by requesting fastest possible delivery by 10am the next morning (yesterday). That way I could go back on-site and do the job yesterday.

10:05am yesterday - no delivery. On the phone to Screwfix asking where my order was. Quick check on the computer system......"I'm sorry Sir, it was packed last night but it is still sitting in the warehouse".

"Err, but I paid for fastest delivery......!"

Lots of apologies. Order was despatched yesterday.

It turned up this morning before 10am (not good enough Screwfix, but that's an argument for another time). Delivery man had problems stumbling up the garden path with it - it was damned heavy! Most odd, because I hadn't ordered anything particularly heavy.

Opened the order up. About 50% of what I ordered was in the box. The other items I had ordered were completely missing.

And there were some additional items within. 3 long flexible bath tap hoses with valves - I didn't order those. And nor did I order the 3 boxes of stainless steel tiles which were the heavy items. Those boxes are £110 each, so Screwfix blew it big time with this order.

Got on the blower to Screwfix, got told that the rest of my order could not be shipped until they had received back the surplus items and checked them back in. I told the guy to stuff it - I'd buy the items I needed elsewhere and keep the £340 worth of goods they'd shipped by mistake as compensation instead.

After a quick chat with Screwfix supervisor the guy on the end of the phone said he'd got permission to send my order now, and collect after. Great customer satisfaction - now why didn't they think of that first?

AND.....remember I paid for fastest delivery? Well they haven't refunded that payment - so I've paid for fastest possible delivery from Screwfix, they didn't abide by the contract, and they expect me to pay for it. Letter has gone off to the Managing Director of Screwfix to explain why I'm feeling very unhappy.

Given the number of problems people seem to be having with Screwfix I'm thinking about setting up a ScrewfixSux web site where people can record their feelings about this great company, just like you get with PayPal and NTL (and probably others). Anyone else think this might be a good idea?

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Reply to
PoP

I've stopped bothering with Screwfix unless they're way cheaper than everywhere else or the only place that stocks a particular item, which is extremely rare. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

==================== Moral of the story is get up of your fat arse and nip down there or your local diy saves money and disappiontment

Grouch

rm at

> I apologise for the additional effort, however the

Reply to
Grouch

PoP wrote

Well you've upset me, when are you going to reply to my e-mail ?

Are you busy or something ... ;-)

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

Was it an internet or phone order?

I've not had too many problems with Screwfix. 99% of the time it's been a problem with the courier. In a recent order I was sent one Cat

5 module instead of the pack of 5 I ordered. Didn't make a big difference to me as I had ordered surplus to current requirements.

I don't think there is one mail order company you will ever have a smooth ride with, unfortunately. I never rely on anything mail order now, I always wait for the stuff to turn up first or keep items in stock. If I need it straight away I'll grab it from Wickes or B&Q etc. A day wasted normally outweighs any saving you may have made by ordering from Screwfix.

Reply to
StealthUK

I placed an order earlier today and was told before I'd even said who or where I was, that I wouldn't get it till Friday (so much for the 'usually next day delivery', which I have to say has almost always happened for me). Very busy apparently... it does worry me that their standards are slipping though. But at least they warned me in advance.

A newbie who didn't know what he could and couldn't allow, maybe?

Don't blame you!

Well I still rate them, anyway. Today I whinged about a cable-reel which I bought back in September; the socket shutters are really stiff and awkward, and have never freed up with use as I'd expected. No problem, they've refunded me and are collecting the duff item from me on Friday (same day as the replacement will arrive).

David

Reply to
Lobster

[...]

Hi,

Apparently they are moving their warehouse from Somerset to the north west. So I bet their not-too-well-paid warehouse staff in Somerset are really pleased their hard work has earned them the reward of redundancy, NOT!!!

Anyway it's all in a good cause, the Kingfisher executives will get a fat bonus, and their shareholders might even get something too!

In the meantime I wouldn't fancy the chance of getting a 100% correct order, and I doubt they will ever be good as they used to be.

cheers, Pete

Reply to
Pete C

I'd add a couple of things to this.

If you don't get a reply to your letter to the Screwfix MD in a week, I would send another letter by special delivery and cc. it to Gerry Murphy, the CEO of Kingfisher.

The interim annual report has some interesting remarks. I believe that somebody posted recently that Screwfix had had a planning issue in Yeovil and was relocating some of their business. It appears that they are building a 30,000 sqm automated fulfillment centre in Stoke on Trent to be operational 1st half 2004. Given this situation, I wonder if there is a morale drop in the present warehouse because of impending end-of-job?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

First, what email? I haven't seen anything to reply to!

Second, I sent you an email about 10 days ago (to the email address in your usenet header) following a post you made on this forum. My email bounced straight back, your mail server wouldn't accept it.

I got the impression that maybe you were using an email address in the header which wasn't legit..... ;)

Overwhelmed. I'm now booking mid-March gigs. I am 110% committed for the next 3 weeks.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Reply to
PoP

Thanks for that. I'll see what happens.

Definitely. I've been in this sort of situation myself. However that doesn't excuse Screwfix from carrying out its obligations.

Just opened the advertising material in my Screwfix delivery a few minutes ago. Sheet of paper within - guaranteed next day delivery before 10am is available. Err, no it isn't.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Reply to
PoP

I posted about their service a while back and it's got worse. So I've given up on them where possible. BES in Brum is good for plumbing stuff. Next day means just that.

Reply to
G&M

Then it's big compensation time...... :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"G&M" wrote in news:c10dij$9t8$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk:

Not for me it hasn't! I am not exactly a big time buyer but they have certainly screwed up quite seriously - including, for example, accepting an order for a specific item and then not sending it because they were out of stock. But of course helping themselves to the money and claiming that it was in there to begin with. And taking two or three days for what should have been next day.

My biggest problem (so far) with Screwfix was getting them to collect an item that I rejected (bad paint finish on a radiator) - took three or four goes to get shot of it. (Fingers crossed - got an order in for delivery tomorrow - don't like the sound of Friday...)

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Can't fault them myself.

If I "need" something that urgently I'll go buy it so I have it in my hand.

If I want something "soon" I'll use Screwfix, don't give me a third degree over delivering to work not home etc.

Order at 2.00am if I like and I can see what I want without trying to not look a diyer at the unfriendly local "merchants" when they pretend to not know what you want. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
mark

(Fingers crossed - got an order in for

I don't know why they were saying Friday at the earliest. Just got their email:

"We thought you would like to know that the order you placed on

18 February 2004 was quality checked and packed at 7:48 pm on 18 February 2004 and is now on its way to you via ANC"

So it's down to ANC now...

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Their current financial postings have been mentioned elsewhere, and on the news today they were full of the joys of Kingfisher profits, so I'd be right onto the top brass and complaining, particularly given the short shrift we've received from B&Q with regard to their shoddy pine doors that leave a lot to be desired.

We've been waiting for a solution to our warped door problem since christmas and should hopefully have the bits I need this week but I'm not holding up much hope. Normally I'd be up in arms and demanding pre-finished and painted doors to arrive but those would be the 4th pair and I'm sick of waiting.

At least the local warehouse is 5 minutes up the road, and if I need fast plumbing stuff there's a merchant almost round the corner, though some of their staff leave a lot to be desired too :-/

I s'pose at the end of the day you get what you pay for.......

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

I try that approach as well. On this occasion I was on a two-day job and on day 1 I got asked to take on a job which I hadn't expected in advance, hence the urgent order to Screwfix.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Reply to
PoP

You do, but I have found with B&Q that if you have had unreasonable hassle (e.g. more than one return visit with faulty product) then Go to the returns desk and ask to see the duty manager. Take him off to one side away from employees and other customers. Tell him that you are a good customer and show him receipts for anything you've purchased in the last few months to establish level of spend. Be pleasant and simply say that under the circumstances you feel that it would be reasonable for some compensation for your trouble.

Some vouchers are often forthcoming.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You're right - in this case some gentle persuasion led them round to my way of thinking which saved money on all counts, though why I was doing them favours leaves a lot to be discussed. It's also a case in point when you know a lot of the returns and service desk staff and they know you! Hmm. I also know the timber people too....dammit, I'm spending too much time there!

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy