Two days for new ceiling to dry?

Hi

We are just about to have a ceiling and some walls repaired that were damaged by flooding. The industrial driers went several weeks ago and we've been waiting for firstly the celings/walls to be fixed up, before being redecorated. The insurance contractor (John Youngs) is sending workmen to do the following: - fix the walls (chip out some old cracked plaster and repair with new) - Take down some of the old ceiling and repair, and re artex

They then reckon on sending the decorators to repaint the whole room, including the ceiling just TWO days later!

Does anyone know if this is feasible? Is there "special" plaster or paint that can be used to do this job so quickly, or are they full of bull?

We have now been without our living room 6 weeks and are fed up waiting, but I don't want a botched job.

Many thanks Marc

Reply to
marc_ely

It wont be completely dry,but good enough to paint over.

Nows the time to get rid of the artexed ceiling,ask them to plaster the entire ceiling.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

There are special paints, but you are limited to matt emulsion AFAIK.

How about doing the painting yourself?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

If this is plasterboard then skim or artex, then couple of days is ok. We had a lot of plastering skimming done in our old house, after couple of days a skimmed PB was dry.

We just painted the ceilings with standard matt emulsion

Reply to
chris French

He will be, in a few months. The paint used will be "contract" or "trade" paint. This powders after a few months and can start to come off the wall when you touch it.

In six months time or when ever they get fed up with it grinning, they aught to go over it all again with a quality finish such as Dulux of one of the other "name" acrylics. There again as it is a ceiling and not likely to get rubbed off, the thing could last years without tiring.

Trade emulsion can be high opacity but it is designed for use on newly finished walls. Sometimes the painter will mix a top quality paint with it. I don't know if that does much good.

2 days is a little on the quick side but it is fine weather and the hoiuse is being lived in so that makes a difference. It should be fine. The important thing is that the job will be over and the mess can become history.
Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Thanks for all of the responses. The ceiling repair is a new set of boards married to old. They will re-artex the lot. Paint is my choice and we are going for Dulux. So fingers crossed all will be ok.

Marc

Reply to
marc_ely