Should I order another one to make up for one that is stalled?

Should I order another one to make up for one that is stalled?

I ordered 4 things from Amazon, they split it into 2 orders both of which were to come on Saturday.

I got two emails on Saturday saying they'd come but they're not there.

called amazon late Sunday night and he quickly said he would send another order, which amazingly was going to arrive the next day. He said that when there was no photo to go with the delivery, he didn't wait to re-ship. (How is it t hat they send me an Order Delivered email with no picture. Doesn't the delivery guy control when the email is sent out? Isn't this like an admission that he didnt' really deliver it, he's keeping it? How many times can they do that? Don't they get fired for this?)

3 things did, one didn't.

the thing thatdidn't it says for the last 2 days: "Delayed, not yet shipped We will email you as soon as this order ships. You won't be charged until then. We're sorry for the inconvenience."

Yet the page where one orders it says nothign about being out of stock or only having a few left.

I was looking forward to using this as soon as I got it.

How long would ou wait before you ordered another one and cancelled this one, and what can go wrong with that plan?

Reply to
micky

Perhaps that item was only at the Amazon warehouse that got wiped out by the recent tornado near St Louis ?

Reply to
Anonymous

I had an item go stray in the mail. Amazon knew it was late and offered refund but after another couple of days it showed up. It was an item I did not need right away.

Do you have tracking information? Know who is bringing it?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Had an interesting one the other day from Amazon. I do not have Prime and opted for 5 day free delivery. They emailed it was shipped then emailed it would arrive the same day and the Prime truck delivered it.

Reply to
Frank

It hasn't even left yet. The other 2 things that were coming from the same place, just an hour north of her, via Amazon, arrived on Monday.

This wasn't in the box and when I go to my orders, it has a page that says "Delayed, not yet shipped We will email you as soon as this order ships. You won't be charged until then. We're sorry for the inconvenience."

I really wonder what they're waiting for. If they were out of stock they'd say it and they'd say it on the oriiginal display page. Or they'd say "Ships in 3 or 4 days." I see that often but not in this case.

Instead it says "FREE delivery Friday, January 28. Order within 3 hrs 54 mins. In Stock." The day after tomorrow.

It's a plumbing part but maybe it's quarantined for corona.

I could order another one and I bet it would come normally, in a day or two, but I'm afraid the first one will show up too. OTOH, if I order another and cancel the first one at the same time, before the second is on its way, the second one might be delayed even more. I'll lose my place in line.

Still, I can imagine the computer forgetting** about the first one and its never coming. I guess I'll wait one more day, maybe 2, no more.

OT3H, maybe I'd be doing them a favor by ordering another one. Then they can just forget about whatever is causing the problem with this one.

**Amazon's computer actually seems to be pretty good, but it still might screw up.
Reply to
micky

Is there a separate Prime truck?. I think there is just the Amazon truck and Prime is on it in big letter to promote Prime.

But yes, they often bring things faster than they first say they will. I don't normally have prime but I've foudn that just before a trip, I realize I need something fast, so one month of prime won't hurt me. Ironically it's probaBLY MAde me more impatient.

Reply to
micky

There is a Prime truck and I recall curvy arrow is prominent.

A while back I took a month of free Prime and recall having to jump through hoops to cancel it. It may be easier now, hopefully.

Reply to
Frank

I've had items be delayed, accepted Amazon's offer to reorder, only to have the missing item show up at the same time as the new order, even though a refund has been issued. More than once.

When that happens I contact Customer Service and arrange for a "return with no refund".

Walmart has a drop-ship kind of service - they don't stock the item but you order it through walmart.com, deal with Walmart's customer service, etc.

They had the best price on an InSinkErator disposal, so I ordered through them. Received a confirmation from Walmart, then received a tracking notice from some trucking company in NYC. The most basic, old school email I've seen. 3 lines of really small text. Name of the trucking company, an order number (not the Walmart order number) and a delivery date. Looked really strange.

Well, the delivery date comes and goes, no disposal. I called Walmart and they contacted the 3rd party company. They said that they haven't had that item in stock in months and didn't know when they would. No one could explain why I received the shipping email. Walmart refunded my money.

OK, so I order the disposal from Amazon - at a now lower price - and it's delivered in 3 days. The next day, the original "not in stock, don't know when we'll get one" disposal lands on my stoop. No one was home so I don't know what kind of truck delivered it. it didn't have a UPS or FedEx label, just a label from some camera/electronics company in Brooklyn.

I kept it as a spare.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I have used the free one deliberately for a decade or more and have never had any hoops to jump thru to cancel it.

It always has been.

Reply to
5tft

This is sort of the opposite, they haven't offered me the chance to re-order. I was thinking of doing it anyhow.

I havne't been charged for the first one, but I'm sure I will be if it ever ships.

And I'm sure they'd give me a refund, but iirc the only easy place to return is a Kohl's 6 miles from here, and I'm running out of time before my trip. I don't want to order a second one without giving them time enough to actually send the first one, but I don't want both coming when I'm leaving in, say, two days.

But your examples show that Amazon makes mistakes, and the mistake this time coudl be that they've lost track of my pending item. The thing is,as a programmer, I don't know how they could lose track. it's flagged as "Delayed, not yet shipped". They should go through that list every day or less and see which one can be shipped. if they can ship another separate one, they can ship this one too. Yeah, that means either the new one cannot ship even though it doesn't say so, or they're not rechecking ones like mine. they do such a good job from a shipping pov, I find it hard to believe they're not rechecking, but if they aren't that can go on forever.

Wow.

LOL

Reply to
micky

What's your address? I gotta guy who will watch your deliveries for you. Address, when you'll be leaving and when you'll be back.

They don't have lockers where you are? I can return some items to a locker.

Marilyn Manson

They probably do. I live in a big city!

This is a good idea. Thanks.

I've gotten something via a locker once, a cell phone. Even though no one steals packages around here, it was too expensive to leave in front of the door. (When I got the previous phone in the mail, it was late by several days, and then I noticed it between the garden hose "end table" and the wall. It had been there all along.)

Reply to
micky

Okay, it's 2.3 days late, so I ordered another one that is to come Sunday. No problem noted by them on web or in email.

Then I went to cancel and I didn't foresee this:

We're preparing this order for shipment. If you'd like to cancel item(s) from this order, check the Cancel Item box next to the item(s) and click "Request cancellation." We'll do our best to cancel the item(s) selected.

And after I gave this reason: Reason for cancellation (optional): Item would not arrive on time.

it said: Attempting to Cancel Your order is being prepared for shipment. We are attempting to cancel it now. We?ll e-mail you as soon as this status changes.

This is 9:38PM

Two or 3 m Amazon.com Your Orders | Your Account | Amazon.com Cancellation Failed Order #113-9 Hello Micky, Unfortunately, we weren?t able to cancel the items you requested and these items will soon be shipped. We apologize for the inconvenience.

You can track your package at any time. If you no longer want these items, you may refuse delivery or return them after they arrive. You can visit Your Orders to start a return.

So, do you think it will ever come? (I don't. I think it's a form letter.)

Which will come first, the one I ordered tonight, or the one I ordered 5 nights earlier?

And since they no longer put invoices in the box, I'll only be able to tell which one came by the emails and the webpage.

We hope to see you again soon. Amazon.com This email was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message.

Reply to
micky

I share an Amazon Prime account with some family members. On a recent order I accidently chose my daughter's address. I didn't realize it until I got the message that the delivery was "10 stops away" and the map was for a city 2000 miles from me. Whoops!

I was able to cancel the order through the app even though it was right down the road from my daughter's place. The reason for the cancellation was listed as "Delivery Refused" even though my daughter says that no ever showed up at her door. My refund was issued the next day.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I've been sharing a Prime account that a family member opened up

10+ years ago when Amazon offered discounts to students.

There are currently 10 different people with payment methods listed and over 15 addresses. The original person gets charged every year and we rotate through paying her back.

The only time it's a problem is when somebody orders a movie or something because it automatically gets charged to her. Sometimes we work it out, sometimes she just let's it slide. We always let each other know when we've bought or rented a show so anyone else that wants to watch it can.

We don't use the account very often. ~$12,000 in 2020, ~$16,000 in 2021 Just the occasional purchase. ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

That's pretty good. It went well for you.

Meanwhile at my house, the second one came today, I forget but 2 or 3 days after I ordered it.

Meanwhhile Amzaon changed the status of the first one from Delayed to Missing, and suggesed I ask for a refund (We're very sorry your delivery is so late. Although it may still arrive, you can request a refund now.)**, but when I did that it said it was too late to cancel the order because it was on its way. -- Well it said that yesterday, but today it let me cancel, said I would get a refund***, and asked that I return the item if it shows up.

Like most data processing, writing the code for normal situatinos is straight-forwward, maybe 10% of the code, while editing the input data is another 20% of the code and handling unusual situations is 70% of the code. Some of them, situations people don't even think of at first, and in this case, they still need to finish touching up the code for when something is "lost" during delivery.

I was right to order the next one when they had not yet given up on sending the original one.

**A refund will be interesting in itself, because the charge for this one is 0.00, but that's because it's a replacment for the one that they said was delivered but wasn't. I paid for that one, so I should get a refund, for (numbers 1 and 2 together). ***And now it says I will, but that might have been a form-message. We'll see how good their computer really is, if it's kept track of all this.

And finally, there was no photo to go with today's delivery, but it was still there. And he even did a better job than usual of hiding it. I didn't see it at first myself.

Reply to
micky

So you have 10 different people each at a different address getting their deliveries faster than the base speed, each to his own home, and you're only paying for one membership?

Is there a limit to that? There are 100 homes in my n'hood. Could we a all join together and each pay $1.20 cents a month?

Reply to
micky

Yes. And use Prime Music and Prime Video and anything else that a Prime membership includes.

The only real drawback is Amazon music. Sometimes we can't stream to our own devices because somebody else is using it. (or we can steal it from each other, but we usually don't) When it happens to me, I just switch to Pandora or Spotify.

(Yes, we share Pandora and Spotify accounts too.)

Although Neil Young and Joni Mitchell have me reconsidering using Spotify, but I'm not paying for it, so I'm torn.

You don't "join together". You share a single account. One userid and password. One default payment method, although each person can add their own and chose it, just like the shipping address, for each order.

Just keep in mind that all 100 people will see everybody else's orders, browsing history, messages, etc. Every Echo, etc. will (sort of) be available to everyone. Theoretically, Bert and Ermine (or Bert and Ernie) could be having a romantic moment and Robert (or Roberta) could Drop In on the lovebirds Echo with a hearty "Hey! What's up?" (Pun intended)

Worse yet, anyone with access to the login information could use anyone's payment method. Good luck controlling access to the account when you already shared it with 100 people. It'll soon be

101 then 102 then 200.
Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I'm not good at math. With 100 people, it would be only 13 cents a month.

I have to think about how risky this is.

I don't even understand how this would work but it sounds like it could be good for me. I need more local social relationships. The internet just doesn't cut it.

That sounds really bad. Would have to be soeone I trusted. No more random HOA members.

But I wasn't really planning to split it with the whole n'hood. I don't have a 100 close friends, or 100 family members, but someone might. Just cutting the cost in half or thirds would be a big deal. I consider the non-prime shipping speed to be darn fast, without even trying I plan ahead, I have more than enough media to listen to and watch already, and the idea of spending about 10 dollars during a month when I don't buy anything is too much for me. But it was $5 or 3, that's a different story. Even I think that's cheap.

I wonder if they'll stop this after a while, allow gifts but insist that, say, 90% of purchases be delivered the named customer's address. Or charge for deliveries to other addresses beyond 20% of the time.

Meanwhile, I tricked myself. I bought a porch light that does everything including make coffee. I tested it before installation, and it went on when power was applied, and brightened up when there was movement in front of it, or even 90^ to the side of it. I thought that was enough testing. If it did some things, it worked and it would do every thing, but I didn't test it in a dark room.

Once installed, it didn't go on when it got dark, it rarely went on when I walked up to it, even at an angle, and using the wall switch to turn it on only worked 20% of the time. What a contrast from my test. First thing I've bought from Amazon that didn't work. (well, plus the first PC)

So it said that anything bought in December, you had until Feb 1 to return and elsehwere I think I read 30 days, so silly me, I thought I'd have 30 days from when I filled out the form to send it back, so I wait ed until nearly the last minute to do that. Tonight I fill out the form and the deadline for both is the same, Feb 1. And it's cold out. 16 degrees at 2:30AM But it's $60. and 29^ tomorrow afternoon, 35 on Monday, and I can return it on Tuesday. Unless the nuts are frozen on, I'll do it, and a match will thaw the nuts.

Also they said you had 200 characters to explain why. I like to give a full explanation, so I write a line like 1 2 3 4 5 6 ..... Doesn't go on at dark, nor readily when one walks up to it, hard to turn on with the light switch. I tested it before install, but not in full dark. Hope I have time to put back old one b4 deadline.

And I see it only has 183 characters. I find that discrpancy quite surprising.

Reply to
micky

I put in a Return with Amazon, but even though it's really cold at night this month, I checked it out a couple more times, and decided it's working almost like it should.

I thought it was not on all night because when I cracked the front door open and peeked, it wasn't on. But it probably was on, just that at 30% brightness, it's not very bright. I guess I had in mind what would be

50 or 60% brightness.

Also it doesn't brighten up until I'm only 8 feet from the door, but maybe it will do better in warmer weather. It was 14F last night.

So I deleted the Return. I was going to return it to the same UPS place that told me the rules about notaring wills, so now I have to call and see if I can find the woman I talked to.

Reply to
micky