Screwfix get something right! No - wait - rats!

I was going to post to say that I received an order today from Screfix and everything was correct for once! However just as I was about to throw out the box something dropped out.

They sent me two of one of the lines I ordered. One was in it's packing and everything, the other was just loose in the box. Still they haven't charged me for it, so that'll make up for the bits they got wrong last time.

What is going on at Screwfix? Last month I ordered:- 5 packs of 1.5mm cable clips 5 packs of 2.5mm, 10 compression joints,

what they actually sent me was

10 packs of 2.5mm cable clips 10 Guuter end stops.

And the've sent me two =A310 vouchers in the last 2 weeks, without prompting, too.

Reply to
kmillar

So far, I've made about 6-10 orders from Screwfix and each one has been correct (although must admit, the last one which was a week ago was delivered in 2 boxes, and the 2nd one came 1 day later - I believe due to courier as the 1st box did say box 1 of 2 but they only delivered 1).

I do get confused sometimes with their order quantity. Things in packs of

10 - do you order 1 (ie. 1 pack) or do you order 10 (10 items?). I got caught out this time as I needed some panel pins which came in 0.5kg packs. So I ordered 1 pack and got 2x 0.5kg (ie. 1kg). Fair enough - that's what I ordered when I look back at it. It just seems strange ordering 0.5 of something!

David

Reply to
David Hearn

Screwfix are generally very good and I have ordered quite a lot from them. They once supplied a faulty consumer unit and replaced it with another faulty consumer unit, but apart from that, I have not had any problems.

My orders are usually small and my only complaint is the amount of packaging they use. After every delivery, there is masses of cardboard and 3 or 4 of those annoying bags of air to throw away!

Reply to
Peter M

Yes, they tend to over-do the packaging for sure. What we need is a cardboard-box fired boiler ;-)

-K

Reply to
kmillar

For heaven's sake don't complain about their packaging! - it was so poor on one of the last orders I placed that 9 of the 25 double sockets I had delivered were smashed along with two electric tile cutters and a shower. Don't give them any ideas that they need *less* packaging!!! :-)

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

It isn't more or less packaging they need, it's better packing - not the same thing at all. To get stuff delivered undamaged it has to be packed *tight* in the box, that's what the airbags are supposed to help with but with small heavy items it doesn't always work.

Reply to
usenet

My sockets came with no packaging whatsoever - they were just loose in a big box - rattling around with various copper plumbing fittings and other socket breaking items. Apparently everything's packed by machine now, that was their excuse anyway. If I was them, I'd buy a new machine. :-)

OR... Mr. Screwfix should wait until Kingfisher (B&Q) run it into the ground then come along, buy it back for pennies and run things properly again. There. I've said it.

In fact, I'm sure if Screwfix and Wickes had joined forces things would have been better all 'round...

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

I think he's busy:

I'm not so sure he's running it properly, given the continued appalling stock levels at the Bristol trade counter... Thank God for the nearby Screwfix outlet which, touch wood, has yet to fail me stock-wise.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

Must admit think I've been unlucky (Or lucky) Placed a number of orders smallest being about £100 largest being £1500 the 1500 order was a nightmare it took over 2 weeks to sort the order out finally. However they did sned me £50 goodwill gesture and with all the confusion ended up getting double on alot of items worked out about £200-300

Other orders been ok then last one again was in 3 boxes only 2 turned up (OK was the couriers fault) but the confusion ended up in them sneding me the whole order out again... thei time felt guilty so sent it back.

Retunrs have been good with them, they usually credited me the money before even recieving the good (May be cos of the amout that has been spent previously)

Anyway for cost and service there not bad, just dont plan work around the delivery. D

Reply to
Derek

Have to agree - customer service wise Screwfix have been absolutely spot on - a bit too blasé at times "What, your whole £2000 order is wrong? No problem sir, we've re-shipped it and you'll receive it all again tomorrow, and here's some gift vouchers and a free cake. Would you like us to pay your disposal charges for the broken stuff?" etc etc.

It's just relying on them that's become increasingly difficult - fine if you can plan in advance for delivery problems etc. but often that's just not possible. I'm going to continue to use them for anything that's not too breakable - anything else I'm going back to paying over the odds at local stores and trade outlets. :-(

The sad thing is, 99% of the time it's the couriers to blame.

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

Mm. Had my first Toolstation crisis last week, which was a bummer. They've performed faultlessly for me so far, and now that their stock list is getting pretty good, I'm putting more and more business their way at the expense of Screwfix. I ordered Monday evening with Express delivery (ie next day service) for items for a job I hoped to do on Wednesday or maybe Thursday at a pinch. Thursday morning I phoned them to enquire after the non-appearance of the order, only to find it hadn't even been dispatched as they were still waiting for one of the 12 or so items. No advance warning of this by phone or email, no nothing. And no vouchers forthcoming either, to add insult to injury!

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Pecanfan writes

Indeed. They need to learn how to pack properly. Lobbing a diverse collection of bits in the bottom of big box and adding a few airbags isn't always enough! They should take lessons in packing from the like of Farnell. Putting more fragile items in bubble bags first goes a long way to preventing transport damage. My cunning plan the other day was induction training for new S/F packing staff. Put _them_ in a cardboard box and send them to the far reaches of Scotland. They might learn a thing or two about life in the back a couriers van!

Reply to
Steven Briggs

So how do you guys actually manage to get vouchers? I received a pillar drill last week that was broken on delivery (the saftey interlock had snapped off). I spoke to them Monday afternoon to be told that a replacement would arrive next day. Unsurprisingly it didn't arrive, as promised, as it was actually despatched on Tuesday. When I phoned to complain and broached the subject of a voucher I was told there was no chance. I totted up my Screwfix orders to find that out of 15 orders I had had 8 returns (*).

I no longer use Screwfix if Toolstation have it as the latter is usually cheaper and free delivery to boot.

Cheers

Mark

(*) Admittedly 2 of those was the £6 Kinzo grinder being replaced twice....

Reply to
Mark Spice

Hear, hear! How? No matter what they've done to me, I've never received any vouchers. Is it just about volume of orders, like a

4-figure some every month or somwthing?

They seem to have finally exhausted their supplies of those; last time they replaced mine it had gone down to about 4.50 quid, and now it's flagged 'unavailable' in my order history!

David

Reply to
Lobster