screwfix screwup

Was going on with screwfix lately? Is it back to normal or still hopeless? I ordered some stuff on Monday morning which still is not here. Only

30 miles from Stoke. They sent it out once to the wrong address. Thats also what they did last time and that took 5 days to sort out and several phone calls. Is this normal service?

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

In my recent (1 order) experience they're fine! I ordered last monday afternoon (3pm) and it arrived before noon on the tuesday.

I think its more down the the courier they use for your order than when you order or where you are.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Still pretty hopeless, but I do think access to the website is finally getting a bit better. I finally managed to get on to there this week to place an order for some non-urgent stuff which included an item I couldn't readily source anywhere else (I've been trying off and on for about 10 days). Order arrived today - it included a wooden curtain pole set (ref

13702) which arrived as a separate package. And I do mean "AS", not "IN". Previously these have been sent in big cartons surrounded by bubblewrap; however some muppet from Stoke had just slapped an address label on to the plastic film wrapping the pole. And whaddya know, half the bits arrived smashed. Maybe they should pull the new staff out of the warehouse to train them a bit more (NOOOOOO!)

The order before that also arrived in two cartons - surprised me as it was only for small items. Opened one of the boxes (an 18" cube approx) to find it contained a single 13A plug. That's it. At least it was intact though.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Postscript to the above.

I complained to Screwfix, not just about the fact that the pole had arrived broken, but that it was perfectly obviously inadequately packed. They dispatched Royal Mail to collect it, and Lynx to deliver a new one the day after that (how all this is cost effective is beyond me). And guess what, the new pole arrived completely devoid of packaging as well. Intact this time at least.

I've been putting up with Screwfix while they sort themselves out but this looks like their service per se has taken a downward step, and I certainly won't stick around if that persists.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I really don't know why they shut the Yeovil site. Given that Birmingham is a no-go zone for at least 6 hours every day, I would have thought the old site serving the south and the new one (a bit smaller) serving the north would have been a good move both for themselves and their delivery companies.

Reply to
G&M

I thought it was for 24 :-) (how that many people can have a speech impediment I just don't know.... :-) )

It implies two stock locations and moving goods between them. There is a cost in doing that, although some companies like RS do have regional trade counters with a subset of the most popular items. Equally, I suspect they run at rather higher margins.

Reply to
Andy Hall

... which must be less than this fiasco is costing them. They could always have phased out the southern site if it didn't work out.

Most of the white and brown goods box shifters are finding a northern site helps business, albeit with a lot less number of stock items I agree. Also several of the electronic parts distributers at the more sensible pricing end (i.e. not RS :-) used to have two or more warehouses around the country, though with the move of manufacturing to north of Shanghai their warehouses have had to move there as well.

Reply to
G&M

"Andy Hall" wrote | "G&M" wrote: | >Given that Birmingham is a no-go zone for at least 6 hours | >every day, | I thought it was for 24 :-) (how that many people can have a | speech impediment I just don't know.... :-) )

Is it too late to book you for the panto at Shettleston Working Men's Club? It would be an unforgettable experience for all concerned :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's the way I tell them......

Where's Shettleston?

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Andy Hall" wrote | >Is it too late to book you for the panto at Shettleston Working | >Men's Club? | >It would be an unforgettable experience for all concerned :-) | It's the way I tell them...... | Where's Shettleston?

The life expectancy figures for Glasgow Shettleston are far worse than the Scottish National average. The male life expectancy in Glasgow Shettleston is only 63.9 years, which is almost a decade below the Scottish average and is on a par with third world countries.

authority with the highest life expectancy for men is North Dorset at

79.3 years and for women West Somerset with 83.4 years.
Owain