Screwfix Shops ... How to ...

Might sound like a dumb question but after the frustrations of the local sheds, I need/want to go further afield and there are 2 newish screwfix shops near(ish) to me open tomorow morning... (Exeter & Plymouth)

I've mail ordered from them in the past, but what's the best way to get stuff from the shop - are they browse or pick, or a counter service?

ie. is it best to walk in with a list of catalogue numbers, or just browse and pick in the shop?

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

They consist of a few display items and a counter where you place and pay for your order - a 'short' time later it all arrives 'from the back' and you leave.

Make up your list from the website and hand the item numbers to the order clerk.

The only downside is when they haven't got something and you then have to order it on line and pay a delivery charge because you haven't exceeded the free delivery level bcause you got most of your items locally.

This is one reason I don't often go to my local branch unless I need a very small value order and very quickly. I look forward to the day when you can check on line if the local branch has everything in stock.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Same setup as argos. I prefer to make my choices sitting somewhere comfortable, then go in.

NT

Reply to
NT

Not a shop - trade counter.

Figure out what you want from the catalogue or online, hand over list of numbers and quantities.

Unless they're nearby, there's no advantage over ordering off the web except the lack of low-order delivery charge.

Reply to
RubberBiker

And that I can get it at 10am tomorow morning!

All I needed for this weekend was a handfull of 15mm end-caps and as they're just for a temporary fix to be thrown away in a weeks time I'm damned if I'm paying the prices that the sheds wanted for their posh ones!

Thanks to everyone who's replied! Trying to "be prepared" and all that - makes it easier.

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

To add to what others have said, there is no minimum order charge, so if you want a box of screws @ £3 you can buy them. Also, if an item is out of stock, they can get it for you by 10:00 am next day - possibly not so useful in your case.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Actually - it would be if they could get stuff in that they ordered on Sunday morning by 10am Monday!

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

AFAIR theres a wheeze whereby you add a gift voucher to the order to exceed the minimum order charge. Next time you order you cash the voucher in with the order and order another voucher if needed to get over the minimum order charge etc etc.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Starling

Hi Gordon, you can actually phone the general free phone enquiries number and find out from them if the items you want are in stock at the branch and the quantity they have. Last month I was after some odds and ends and the call ensured the trip was not a wasted one. (assuming of course their computer records are correct :-) )

Gio

Reply to
Gio

If you want less than £50s worth try Toolstation for their free delivery on orders £10 and over.