Neat Wiring

While renovating a bathroom, I came across the original wiring in the loft for the bedroom and en-suite. Compared with the usual rat's nest in the rest of the house this was just such a joy to find. It dates from 1992-ish. Most professional electricians fail to impress, but... "Well done that man!"

I have to live up to this for mine. But at least I have a good model for follow.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

That is excellent. I wish I could say that I've been that tidy and thoughtful!

Reply to
Clot

You are very lucky to have had someone properly label stuff.

The most difficult bit to neatly wire is a CU full of RCBO. It should really have cable markers on every final circuit.

RCD forced downgrade to 12-way in nov04, quickly replaced by 16- way Jan05 (yes, receipted) because no shed heating & uninsulated floors in january do not go together. Only final circuit added was to split smoke off the lighting.

Reply to
js.b1

Nice job and not too hard to do with some time & patience. It is worth leaving some slack to enable future alterations/repairs/replacement. Especially for hard to reach or inaccessible fittings.

Francis

Could we use the pic on the wiki?

NT

Reply to
NT

Very rarely would a professional be paid for the time to do that.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sure, go right ahead. I hereby place the copyright in the Public Domain.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

An electrician didn't do that - too neat

Reply to
zaax

If one were being critical; a bit of sleeving on the black switch returns and fan neutral would have been nice.

Reply to
John Rumm

It's great to see a properly dressed box. Not many people do it like that anymore. Hat's off to the installer.

Reply to
BigWallop

They should all be done like that, and don't take any time at all if the tricks are punched in to the trainee frrom the start. Well.........They should still be punched into the apprentice...........They were when I was. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

lovely, cheers

NT

Reply to
NT

Nice - this was at Harry Beck's house, I'd guess?

Reply to
Steve Walker

LOL! I wonder what the underground SWA was like...

Reply to
Bob Eager

lovely, cheers

He said

Sure, go right ahead. I hereby place the copyright in the Public Domain.

But I had to look at the raw source code to read it for some reason.

Reply to
Graham.

Knowing the previous owners by repute, I pretty sure they didn't DIY it, but there are other non-prof pointers, some of the plumbing was very amateurish. It could have been an apprentice's test job, of course. "Just once in your life do it right, you useless lummock!" "OK, I'll show you..." :-)

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember TheOldFellow saying something like:

getting corrupted by sloppy work practices. Sure as shit wasn't somebody who was getting paid a flat rate for the day/job.

It might even have been the previous owner.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I think my plumbing was DIY. It's painstakingly done with attention to detail, but with an awful lot of soldered elbows. And gatevalves everywhere :-(

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That's how we were trained to do it *many* years ago, when I was a student apprentice with Norweb. The training was at Lancaster College.

Of course, I've never wired like that since... :-)

Reply to
mick

It takes very little time to do things properly like that.

And there is space to have all the wires spread out a little more instead of in the bundles. Curiously the earths appear to have been done last as they are on top of everything else. I'd do them first as they won't change if things need to be altered later, live, switched live and neutrals will.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice