Number of bedrooms with ensuites

If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider the minimum?
The smallest existing bedroom is the nearer to the existing bathroom than the proposed extention and will have to remain ensuite free.
I claim that there should be at least 2 full ensuites and three new toilets. Any other views before I fall out with my Dad..
--
Adam

On 03/06/2011 00:27, ARWadsworth wrote:

I reckon it needs one bath/shower, one shower, three toilets in that size house. Achievable with one ensuite, one bathroom, one downstairs bog.
But that's needs, rather than wants.
Having more will probably make the house more saleable, provided the size of the bedrooms doesn't suffer.
Also depends on how many people will actually be there permanently, and if lodgers or house sharing will ever come into it.

My Dad is bored. It is 5 years since he retired. He wants to build another extension.

One bedroom will have to be made smaller to allow access to the new bedrooms. There will always have to be a compromise between bedroom size and ensuite size.

It will be two people living there, my parents.
My Dad wants a double story extension of roughly 6m by 10m.
--
Adam

Exactly. I know of someone who put an en-suite in every room upstairs in an ordinary house, and the result is a rats nest of tiny rooms and doors every where. Looks ridiculous. Even most new detached houses, say, 4 bed with integral garage, have pretty small bedrooms to fit in the en-suites, and you have all these bathrooms almost next to each other. Its ridiculous. However, it may be what people want. Of course, a large spacious house is an entirely different matter. What comes to mind is those american houses in movies / tv (most actually sets built for filming !) that seem to have a decent sized bathroom for every bedroom (complete with 1930s square tiles and one of those hoop shower curtain things over the bath). This is so the kids can lead an existance separate from the parents, who are always somewhere else in the vast house, where their mates climb in though the window and have pizza delivered that way as well. Simon.
On 03/06/2011 00:27, ARWadsworth wrote:

I've never had an en-suite in my life. A second WC in the house can be useful though.
Colin Bignell

There is already a second WC (downstairs) from the extension 24 years ago.
--
Adam

I'm not even sure I want a toilet one door away from my partner in bed. Not sure it adds anything to the romance. IMO more a question of a fashion statement over common sense!

+1
Wives appear extremely sensitive to toilet smells!
We have a separate main bathroom with walk in shower which visiting children and I use. Master bedroom has en-suite as does downstairs guest room. There is also a toilet in the utility area for farmers with grubby hands.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

Don't you fart in bed?
--
Adam

Not knowingly. It may come to me yet as it seems to be a feature of age!
regards

--
Tim Lamb

On 03/06/2011 10:43, Andy Cap wrote:

It does strike me as being a bit like living in an hotel room.
Colin Bignell

One idea was to make the master bedroom ensuite entrance via a dressing room.
He has 6m by 10m to play with to make two new bedrooms plus any ensuites etc. He might be able to make it greater than 10m but not more than 6m
--
Adam

ARWadsworth wrote:

Assuming it's to be extended for maximum future saleability/value I'd say at last two full en-suites, one family bathroom, and one separate loo ...
But what do I know?

Enough:-)
I asked for opinions. You are on my Dad's side.
Your suggestion is what he would end up with. Although he is also considering making the downstairs WC a shower room.
The idea is to extend now (whilst he can still DIY), live there until they are too old to look after the place and property prices have risen and then sell up and move to their apartment on the coast.
--
Adam

On 03/06/2011 01:10, ARWadsworth wrote:

Trying to outguess future buyers is fraught with problems. I invariably rebuild the kitchen when I move in to a new place, usually reconstruct the bathroom and I would find a walk-in wardrobe much more useful than an en-suite bathroom.
Unless he has a particular yen for an en-suite bathroom himself, why not simply build the extension with extra storage areas that could easily be converted to bathrooms or WCs, if future buyers want them?
Colin Bignell

To the extent we don't bother. Do what you like.
(And to answer the OP - the more the better.)
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 8th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3177
Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're

You can *overdevelop*. Will a 5 bed house at his location be out of place when he comes to sell?
regards

--
Tim Lamb

+1 Discussing the subject of house extensions recently with the remaining local estate agent, he said 4 decent size bedrooms was a much easier layout to sell than 5 smaller ones, few buyers actually want or need 5 bedrooms. Of course guessing what's going to be the fashionable layout in 10-20 years is a bit tricky.

It would be the second 5 bed house on the estate. The majority are 3 bed houses with some 4 bed ones (all with extensions to provide the 4th bedroom). The rest are 2 and 3 bed bungalows.
--
Adam

On 03/06/2011 16:10, ARWadsworth wrote:

Don't do it. Having the biggest house on the estate will make it really hard to sell - ask any agent. Those who want and can afford a 5-bed won't want to live next to all the chavi people who can only afford a little bungalow.
I suggest your dad makes the seaside place the perfect place to retire to if he wants a project.
Andy