Painting/filling order ?

In my lounge I have sanded the old emulsion on the walls (trade emulsion on skimmed plasterbaord wall), removed gloss on woodork back to primer/undercoat and also removed the rather poorly placed acrylic filler between the woodwork and walls.

Now what order do I put it all back.

My preference would be:-

- Filler first

- Emulsion walls

- Gloss paintwork.

Any thoughts on doing paintwork first then filler ?

Reply to
Ian Middleton

I would caulk between woodwork and walls first. Wickes decorators filler (cartridge) is good for this.

Reply to
Andrew Barnes

Absolutely. Caulk everything. And maybe put a coat of PVA down.

Gloss last. .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All the filling, walls, ceilings with plaster/polyfilla WHY and between woodwork and walls etc with a flexable chaulking.

Totherway round is my preference, emulsion will wipe/wash off easyly if it drips or splatters (which it will from a roller). Gloss doesn't wash/wipe off cleanly.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I was going to sugest that as a joke.

Reply to
N. Thornton

I know one professional painter who does it that way: He emulsions everything except the areas around (quite large) cracks, then comes back another day to fill in the cracks and emulsion the rest. I've never dared ask why.

All I can think of is:-

a) It makes it appear to the customer as if he's getting on quite fast whereas filling first always looks as if nothing is happening for ages.

b) He hopes paint will fill the smaller cracks, reducing the amount of filling to just the bits he couldn't get away with like that.

c) Whilst painting you always find some cracks you missed, so the unpainted areas highlight them.

d) He hates filling so leaves it till last.

Any other explanations?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Doran