Screwfix lucky dip

Today amongst some builders metalwork and stainless screws I ordered, I got a pack of plastic plumbing fittings I didn't order. Random additions and (less so) deletions appear to be getting more common from Screwfix. I'd say roughly 20-30% of my orders are "different" to what I ordered through the website.

Now they are very good at patching up mistakes, after a single quick phone call, and next day delivery seems to be working consistantly again, after a wobbly phase when they had a major expansion.

Their unbranded tools are still very often utter junk though (I've sent most of them back). Everyone else's experiences roughly the same?

Reply to
dom

The message from " snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" contains these words:

Completely opposite. I've placed perhaps a couple of dozen orders with them ranging from a few quid to a few hundred at a time and never had anything extra, missing or incorrect. I did have two fused outlets in a row damaged - their packaging is almost as bad as eBuyer's.

Reply to
Guy King

I went to the Stockport trade counter the other day and they missed out a tube of gripfill that I'd paid for. Didn't notice until I got home. Will bring it up next time I'm in there.

Reply to
Richard Conway

I haven't had any wrong orders from them, well not any recent one I recall. Problems years ago were sorted without fuss.

The only recent issue was one order detail doesn't show up in my order history and an email to customer service got me a print out sent in the post.

As to the unbranded tools, I used to buy them 6-7 years ago and they were good value. Then the prices went up and the quality went down. Many of them are "BlackSpur" type branded tools, often acceptable for purpose but about three times the price of the local discount QD type stores. Lidl/Aldi seems to have the best value price/quality ratio cheap tools these days.

HLAH

I live near one of the newer trade counters, it is still lucky dip; my first order of about 20 items had three extras and one missing. Never had any trouble getting refunded though, they are also non-quibble if you buy stuff and then take it back because you don't need it.

Reply to
PM

Since they sold out to Kingfisher (??) they have seem to have gine down hill, everytime I go to order something they no longer seem to carry it !

Reply to
Jim

I am significant customer of S/fix (they call me a "key account holder" and are extra nice to me if I complain). Since I make on average two orders a week I am in a position to know whether there are any changes.

A few years ago the most common fault (may be 1 in 20) orders was getting someone elses stuff (and they presumable getting yours?). That has not happened at all in the last couple of hundred orders.

Recently for the first time in a long time they made a mistake by not including all of an item. I've never known them miss out an item in it's entirety, perhaps I've been lucky but I do make a hundred orders a year.

Sometimes (a couple of times a year) they misunderstand their "pack size" and "quantity" this is in your favour and sometimes not.

They almost ceased to function when they first moved the warehouse from Yeovil but after a few weeks they were back to normal.

An irritation that I find is that they don't tell you when they _remove_ stuff from their catalogue. e.g.

1) Fuses wire. 2) Both square and round flue terminal guards.

Sometimes they replace the product with a better equivalent though.

If you buy the £20 quid cordless driver it is not the same as £350 Makita. You get what you pay for and specific larger items are almost always available for less elsewhere.

Single radiators and 5 litre paint _will_ always arrived damaged unless you are fortunate.

Reply to
Ed Sirett