Small, stainless, wood screws

Can anyone recommend and/or suggest where to buy small (as in 3mm or thereabouts) stainless steel wood screws?

Searching for them just throws up lots of hits for what are just ordinary self-tapping screws which are not ideal for wood.

I want some like the old Screwfix Turbo Ultra screws which were specifically for use in wood, had a sharp, self-drilling (type 17) tip and held well in wood having a deep thread.

I still have som 3 x 16 Turbo Ultra but they'll run out soon and I need other sizes - 3 x 10, 3 x 20, 3 x 30 or similar.

Even 3.5 diameter would be useful though I do still have a reasonable stock of Turbo Ultra 3.5mm ones.

Reply to
Chris Green

|3mm&st=stainless%20wood%20screws

Reply to
Theo

Thank you, I use CPC a lot anyway, and I had come across the Retinox screws. That's definitely a start in he righr direction! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

If you live anywhere near Bury St. Edmunds, you could try D. J. Evans. No guarantee, but they do lots of small unusual stuff.

Reply to
Davey

They used to. not sure they still do.

There seem to be very good screws of the sort described on Amazon - e.g.

e.g.

The Natural Philosopher

I did have a brief look on Aliexpress which is sometimes a good place to get unavailable industrial parts, but here it suggested some 'yellow' and 'silver' screws which sound like kind of rusty cheese. I would probably pay similar attention to anything unbranded sourced from Amazon.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I've had pretty good experience with most 'chinesium' unbranded stuff on amazon The only products I will be very wary of from China are semiconductors. Blew a loudspeaker using 'rebranded' Sinclair style transistors that were not what they said on the tin.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You could try:

or:

Kebrell Nuts and Bolts,

2 St Helens Way, Thetford, IP24 1HG.
Reply to
Davey

They're exctly what I meant by "just ordinary self-tapping screws" designed for metal but far from ideal in wood. They're not sharp and don't have deep enough thread to grip well.

Reply to
Chris Green

OP here, yes I've found the boxes of stainless machine screws and self tappers from China via Amazon are ok. However I can't find any proper wood screws.

Reply to
Chris Green

No stainless wood screws at all as far as I can see,

Next time I'm that way I might look in (I'm at the other end of Suffolk) Thought their web site has no wood screws at all.

Reply to
Chris Green

How about trying a marine chandlery? I googled a couple on line and they are certainly selling what are described as stainless steel wood screws.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Loades

SPAX A2 stainless

Available as 16, 20, 25 and 30mm lengths in 3mm or 3.5mm thread

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes! Thank you. I'd not found the Spax screws in such small sizes before. There's not many sellers seem to have them but I have found a few.

Reply to
Chris Green

Oh well.

They helped me with some UNF bolts a few months ago. Even had them in stock.

Just a suggestion, it might help at some time in the future, even if not for now.

Reply to
Davey

Screwfix - I used them during assembly of some camper fittings, excellent.

Reply to
RJH

Spax:

RJH

They only have them down to 3.5mm diameter though don't they? I can't find any smaller. Plus two out of the three sizes they have are in small packs of 25 at silly prices, almost 30p per screw. The 200 pack is more sensible at about 9p per screw.

I am aiming to use them in France on my boat so it's almost certainly cheaper to buy them there via Amazon, or possibly Screwfix.fr, I'll take a look.

Screwfix.fr are *slghtly* cheaper for 3.5 x 30 but they also don't have any smaller (and only 3.5 x 30 in 3.5mm).

Reply to
Chris Green

Ah yes, beg pardon, they only seem to go down to 3.5. Wickes have an own brand:

Might be worth a whirl.

Reply to
RJH

The spax website gives you the EAN/barcode part numbers

I found toolnation sell the 3mm, but only minimum units of 5x 200 boxes

- maybe if you phone them they'd let you buy 5 boxes of different length screws?

Reply to
Andy Burns