Vertical blinds weights "chain" advice

Fitted a nice set of vertical blinds in the bedroom, to replace curtains.

Very happy with my measurements and choice of material - quite the candidate for automation.

However, there seems to be an ongoing issue with the little plastic "chain" that connects the louvres at the bottom via the weighted inserts,

There are clips every "x" cm on the chain that are supposed to snap onto a matching "bar" on the end of the weighted insert.

4 times I have put each one into position with a "snap" and 4 times over a few days they start falling off.

Am I missing a trick here ? Is there a magic drop of something that will prevent them falling off ?

Obviously when they're fitted they seem tight. So why are they then falling off with seemingly no force ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

We have several vertical blinds, and have no problem with the chains falling off. On the chains, at regular intervals, there is a C bracket, to latch on each weight. One problem we do have, is with one arm of the C snapping off, when they become fragile, due to UV exposure.

Once a C is broken on the chain, it cannot be fixed or repaired, the whole chain has to be replaced.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Yes - I have a few metres knocking around when I repaired our patio blinds which suffered that.

And weirdly despite being used daily, the little "C" clips have stayed firmly in place.

A visual inspection shows the weighted inserts and the "C" clips to be identical in both instances. The only difference being the patio is c. 2m drop and the bedroom just over 1m.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You can buy new weights ( the plastic bit with a weight, plastic ‘wings ‘, weight cage, etc ) and cord with the C clips. As I recall, I bought the last set off EBay. They come in different sizes.

As you say, the problem is exposure to Sunlight / uV. They go brittle.

Reply to
Brian

Something I only realised the second time I replaced some chain: you don't have to 'snap' the C clips on or off the weights.

Difficult to describe, but the top bar of the lug of the weight the chain attaches to is slightly thinner than the main lug, about the thickness of the gap in the C clip, so the clip can be lifted on or off the weight without putting any stress on it.

No idea why they are falling off, though, I've never seen that happen.

Reply to
Joe

We've never had a problem with those "chains", other than them being pulled out or even broken, by our cats. You haven't got any pets that have access have you?

Reply to
SteveW

Very embasrassing update to this

walking past a set at work, I suddenly saw that the weights are in the other way round - the "wings" need to be at the top. This allows the chain connector to "fall" onto the clip and gravity keeps it there.

Red face all round with the weak excuse that(a) it wasn't shown on the instructions and (b) google was useless as per.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

A bit late to say that a photo might have prompted someone to say "you numpty they're upside-down"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Late, but very well noted.

Reply to