update on excessive electricity usage

Hi all to all who thought my friend and I did not know how to find out how much electricity he was using and were convinced that his electricity usage could more than double without him noticing and all those who could not believe nor notice that I had written that he did not have an immersion heater, electric fire, outdoor heated swimming pool etc. Also the fact that we were too stupid to work out how to turn off electrical appliances and read an electric meter. Also those who were convinced that we could not just have a 120 watt light burning which showed 120 watts on a power monitor and the power monitor was wrong etc and there was no way that his meter was faulty and those who could not understand the concept of a meter that had recorded 77725 units over 30 years that gave an average over that 30 years of 2590 yet in 205 days his consumption was 4150 KW that his meter could not be faulty.
WELL IT IS. When he finally got someone at EDF energy who knew what was going on, unlike the majority of posters in the thread, he was told that his average reading should be 10.4 KW per day not varying from 25 to 28 KW per day and that his meter will be changed and he will be given a refund.
And another thing, all I originally wanted was advice on who to complain to if the matter was not resolved, not a load of cobblers as to how he could be using all that electricity without him using any additional electrical appliances. And yes in Scotland we do have fridges, freezers, radio alarm clocks, central heating, TVs, satellite systems, video recorders, DVD players, gas cookers with electronic clocks, even showers that work with the hot water heated by gas not electric and again it was posted that these were all switched of for one night and his meter still recorded 8 units of electricity
"He has been checking his meter every day and is even using 8 units during the night when nothing is switched on except clocks and a 15watt low energy lamp"
So after all the rubbish that most posters posted that we did not know what we were doing I shall never ask for advice on this newsgroup again
Jackie.
Jackie wrote:

hahahah, is that a flounce ?

Looks like one to me :)
--
Free Christmas Cards
http://www.christmasfreebies.co.uk/christmas-cards.htm
Jackie wrote:

Please go and play a game of "hide and go fuck yourself". This newsgroup is not a public service.

snip
You will be sorely missed, as will your attitude. The range of people who post here asking for advice range from the clueless to the experts looking for other peoples views. In this case the most likely case was that your friend had missed something - something us mere mortals sometimes do and you were given pretty good advice that was perfectly sound, even if you found it basic and patronising.
I'm glad that you have solved the mystery, but now you have left us with a mystery: why did someone who seems to know how to do everything even bother asking mere mortals for advice in the first place?
I'll ponder over that for a while and wonder why you've taken peoples help as some kind of personal insult, when all it was was people being as helpful as they could given the information that you gave.
Oh well..

This is the most restrained of the replies, if it were taken to the extreme it would be thought that at least 75% of posters here were offensive chauvinists with a small vocabulary and a large ego.
Mary

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:50:13 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

Get back in the kitchen woman, spouse wants his dinner :)

*Excellent* reply, Paul!
I was flabbergasted by Jackie's bitter and twisted response to what was a standard, very helpful, mix of good advice. It wasn't a stupid question that was asked in the first place, and it didn't receive stupid answers. Never mind: as always, *we* all learned a little bit from all those answers, even if Jackie did not.
We even learned that a meter can be accepted as faulty by an electricity supply company, which was the biggest surprise. (The biggest, after Jackie's summing up, that is.)
John

Why on earth would you ask such a question on a DIY group if you didn't want a range of opinions.
Couldn't such a competent pair even bother to read the back of the Electricity bill, most of which explain in easily understood English where to make complaints.
Andy

She may be one of these people who think there's one answer to everything and that someone must provide them with it. They're usually in either middle management or media relations.
--
Skipweasel
Guy King wrote:

It scares me that a) I know exactly what you mean, and b) I can name 6 people exactly like that, without even thinking about it.
--
Grunff

She doesn't know what it is but sure as hell she certain it must be simple. It's just that she can't come up with it.

Or Politics, where it's positively non-U to be able to do something useful.
I think, BICBW, it was Hazel Blears (It could have been one of the other Nu-Labour "Head -on-a-stik" all women shortlist appointees) who once said that IT and Electronics were "Simple manual skills".
Presumably based on their experience of starting up a new telly or a laptop out of the box.
DG

Wheras politics is a simple verbal skill. The art of denial.
--
Skipweasel

And you don't mean Abu-Simbel do you ... ???
Noticing that at our local Poly (Leeds Met) it now takes four years on an *honours* degree course (If you don't mind) in "International Hospitaly Management" (= Pizza-ology) to qualify one to serve Pizzas at table at our local Pizza Joint.
I am prompted to propose they do a course in "International Grin-ology Management" for the likes of Tony Blair's (Spit and Gozzles be upon him) successors, and his "head on a stik" appointees.
DHG

I can't blame you, but not some men patronise women almost *everywhere* about anything technical.
I remember requesting a 2.4v, 0.83A bulb (for a bicycle light) at Halfords. Salesdroid did not have one but told me that the 2.4v, 0.7A bulb was EXACTLY THE SAME.
Yeah, right!
--
Helen D. Vecht: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk
Edgware.

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Erm, well...
It's not *exactly* the same, but in this context, in this application, for all intents and purposes it is. By that I mean you just wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.
What surprises me is that a Halfords employee knew this in the first place.
--
Grunff

Why? Because he was a man?
<G>
Mary

I wouldn't call that spotty yoof a MAN...
--
Helen D. Vecht: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk
Edgware.

LOL! You were there, I wasn't.
My RAC man was neither spotty nor a yoof. Perhaps that was his trouble.
Mary