excessive electricity usage

Hi I have a friend who seems to be using too much electricity. He lives in a 3 bed semi with gas central heating (radiators) and uses between 20 to 25 units of electricity a day. I live in a similar house and use 10 units of electricity a day.
He never used to pay attention to how much electricity he was using until his direct debits were not enough to pay the bill. He has phoned up his supplier EDF energy and they say he must be using all this electricity. He has been checking his meter every day and is even using 8 units during the night when nothing is switched on except clocks and a 15watt low energy lamp. He has used 248kw in the last 9 days.
How can he get them to come and check whether his meter is faulty? He lives in Scotland and used to be supplied by Hydro Electric or whatever they call themselves now. Any suggestions Jackie

Has he tried switching off every appliance he has, at the appliance not the consumer unit, and then checking to see if the meter is still clocking up consumption? It is not unheard of for people to leave things such as heaters in conservatories or attics on and forget about them?
--
Bill

|>Hi I have a friend who seems to be using too much electricity. He lives in a |>3 bed semi with gas central heating (radiators) and uses between 20 to 25 |>units of electricity a day. I live in a similar house and use 10 units of |>electricity a day. |> |>He never used to pay attention to how much electricity he was using until |>his direct debits were not enough to pay the bill. |>He has phoned up his supplier EDF energy and they say he must be using all |>this electricity. He has been checking his meter every day and is even using |>8 units during the night when nothing is switched on except clocks and a |>15watt low energy lamp. He has used 248kw in the last 9 days. |> |>How can he get them to come and check whether his meter is faulty? He lives |>in Scotland and used to be supplied by Hydro Electric or whatever they call |>themselves now. |>Any suggestions Jackie |> |> | |Has he tried switching off every appliance he has, at the appliance not |the consumer unit, and then checking to see if the meter is still |clocking up consumption? It is not unheard of for people to leave things |such as heaters in conservatories or attics on and forget about them?
Also removing all fuses or tripping all the breakers to make sure that *everything* is off.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*

And if that doesn't work, switch off all the breakers one by one till you find where it's going. If /that/ doesn't work then someone's stealing it.
--
Skipweasel
Jackie wrote:

start flicking off each circuit till the wheel on the meter stops turning so durned fast.
"Jackie" wrote:

Sounds like the meter is faulty, it wouldn't be the first one. He could do a simple meter test, switch all lights and all electrical appliances off so that absolutely nothing is using any electricity and the meter doesn't show any use, take a meter reading, switch one light on light for a fixed time, then take a meter reading. As a rough guide, a 100W light bulb left on for 10 hours will use 1 unit, a 60W light bulb left on for 16 hours will use 1 unit, and a 40W light bulb left on for 25 hours will use 1 unit. So, leave a 60W light bulb on for 8 hours and it will use half a unit. Obviously, if after turning everything off the meter is showing power being used then either the meter is faulty and it isn't worth testing it as described, or a neighbour is stealing your friend's electricity; in which case either the meter needs to be replaced or the police need to be called.
Jackie wrote:

How is his hot water heated? Is that by gas too or is there an electric hot water heater somewhere?

towel rail element or immersion heater
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 00:33:16 GMT, Jackie wrote:

Step one, turn off the main switch on his consumer unit and make sure the meter stops. If it doesn't the either the meter's faulty or he needs to get an electrician in like quickly coz there's something amiss with the installation. I'm not suggesting for one moment it's actually the case here, but it's not unknown for a dishonest neighbour to mess around with the installation and steal electricity through another meter. I've known of two or three instances.......
Step two, turn of the CU, remove all circuit fuses except one, switch back on, and check the meter. Replace each fuse one by one, turning the CU off and back on as each fuse is replaced until he finds the one which causes the meter to speed up.
Step three, check out that circuit, see what he's left on somewhere and forgotten all about, that's what usually causes the problem.
--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

When I was with the Electricity Board, theft was the first thing we checked if the consumption was abnormally high. It was a lot more probable than the meter going wrong. It usually involved some very dangerous practices, like nails driven into the meter tails to create terminals and, if the thief had not been cut off (the most common reason for theft), it could introduce two different phases into the thief's house.
Colin Bignell
On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:31:33 -0000, nightjar wrote:
<snip>

Southern? The name has always seemed familiar!
--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Seeboard, next door. We had a Tony Bignell too, but no relation.
Colin Bignell

Or Seaboard. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

ISTR that was the title of the Seeboard staff magazine. The relevance, such as it was, being that headquarters were on the seafront at Hove.
Colin Bignell
On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 17:48:39 -0000, nightjar wrote:

I seem to recollect we had a Colin (I thought it was Bignell) on the EMA(EPEA) negotiating committee, of which I was also a member, but that just shows how my memory's fading...... :-(
--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

A meter would not rotate unless current was passing. Fact!
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 22:01:30 GMT, John wrote:

Yes. Your point being?
--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

I'm afraid it is, as that wasn't me :-)
Colin Bignell

Now sadly merged with a civil service union and known by the trendy name of Prospect. I still pay my subs (I work for a generator rather than a REC although in HQ engineering rather than at the business end of the job) but often wonder why...
Andy
--
Andrew Sinclair http://www.smellycat.org

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 18:29:29 +0000, Andrew Sinclair wrote:

I gave up after I retired, when I realised that the *only* thing I was getting out of the EMA was a mag that listed the obits.
--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net