Granted, we've only been in for about three months, but I researched historical data with PSE&G and it doesn't add up. Last years history revealed July/02 at about the same as this year - 1825 kWh, but reveals August/02 at only about 1000 kWh.
We ran our 22 year old 4 tone A/C unit at about 70° every day in the past several months, and had a small 2' x 1' dehumidifier in the basement running fairly constant. However, I just don't think these could push the kWh that high based on observations of using similar appliances in our previous home. We are not excessive with lighting usage.
Could a bad appliance or faulty electrical wiring cause this problem? How about a faulty meter?
FYI - I looked at the meter today and it revealed my usage as 1500 kWh higher than the reading taken just 6 days ago. At that rate, I could use nearly 7000 kWh this month. This freaked me out. Could a home really be pulling this much energy from standard appliances?