Xmas DIY

Hi All
I write a regular 'Handyman Hints' column for a local magazine. They want the December one to have an Xmas theme.
I thought of doing a spoof article e.g. make sure the chimney is swept so Santa can get down OK, leave parking space for sleigh etc.
Any ideas on this theme?
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

You could try and take the mickey out of the health and safety directorate and how they would try and regulate Santa and his trip to your house. You know, hazard analysis, warning signs, not leaving anything about Santa might stumble on etc. Or maybe bring the planning people in for a swipe.
Andy.

| |> Hi All |> |> I write a regular 'Handyman Hints' column for a local magazine. They want |> the December one to have an Xmas theme. |> |> I thought of doing a spoof article e.g. make sure the chimney is swept so |> Santa can get down OK, leave parking space for sleigh etc. |> |> Any ideas on this theme? | |You could try and take the mickey out of the health and safety directorate |and how they would try and regulate Santa and his trip to your house. You |know, hazard analysis, warning signs, not leaving anything about Santa might |stumble on etc. Or maybe bring the planning people in for a swipe.
I for one would appreciate that article.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
Andy wrote:

Huh? What has planning got to do with Xmas and/or DIY? Oh, except for steaming Joe Public insisting that their application for a ridiculous unsightly extension absolutely must be through by Christmas :o)
Z.
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Not exactly spoof, but:
Remember ladder safety when climbing a tree to retrieve holly & ivy Make sure your external mains powerd xmas lights are on a RCD
sure there must be more...
--
Cheers,

John.

Don't take the battery out of the smoke alarm to make the new toy/TV remote work.
--
Skipweasel

To make landing his sleigh easier. Take the glace cherries from the cake/pudding and place them down the middle of the street like 'cats eyes'
arthur
51 wrote:

Stand back and wait to be sued by the mother of a five-year-old who lived near a motorway...:-)
Owain
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Won't he burn his arse on the stove?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Have you asked the editor if that is what is wanted? If I were the editor I would be hoping for something along the lines of how to fix a Christmas tree securely, how to get the tree lights working, how safely to put up decorations, etc.
Colin Bignell

Yes. She loved it.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

I'm glad to hear that. When I used to edit a local magazine, far too many contributors sent in spoof articles without checking whether they were wanted. Had I published them all, in some months there would have been little real content.
How about instructions for making the perfect snowball or a snowman? Given your presumed location, it is not likely anyone will get a chance to test the instructions.
Colin Bignell

Yep - (all humour aside, good as it may be) I was thinking: how to make a good Christmas tree holder. (preferably one that would hold water and is easily topped up.)
On the other hand, Andy Mann: how can anyone make anything these days which will be cheaper than what you can buy in the Pound Shop, made in China, and often to "good enough" specs?
Good luck - sounds like a fun article in any case.
John
nightjar <nightjar@ wrote:

I would say where to buy house insurance for when the candles set the house on fire, how too get wax out of polished table tops, How to get the ruddy tree lights working again and where to get spare bulbs, and how to store all the decorations so they don't hang around for ages afterwards.
Alternatively how to join up with like minded mates for a Christmas in some isolated spot with a good hotel to avoid the rest of the family, would be welcome.

.. or better yet, don't buy decorations at all since they are either tat or overpriced tat.

.. that's the best idea. I would love to find such a place.
Andy Hall wrote:

I'm sure some enterprising hotelier is offering such an arrangement. Xmas day is a nice time to go into London and have a Chinese in Soho, or an Indian in Southall

Good thought......

I normally head for North Africa, unless Ramadan happens to coincide with the Christmas holiday period.
Colin Bignell

How about 'get a life'?

I think "Bah Humbug!" would have been more appropriate. You must be a barrel of fun in the festive season..