Flexy flue installing

How long is a piece of string?

I've measured my flue in a 'standard' chimney and it is square with 8½" sides. I think this is likely typical. It has 2 kinks and is otherwise clear and swept.

I've wipped out a 5" liner with no trouble at all and I'd guess by the inferred slop that 6" wouldn't be a problem. I need to get a 6" flexible liner down here by the usual feed and pull method.

So am I likely to be screaming or will it go without hitch? Anyone done this care to share their experiences? I realise the advised method is to pass a trial 1m length through, but I'm just too tight (or foolhardy) to waste a metre.

Reply to
visionset

I put a 6" liner into a chimney very similar to the one you're describing in size (8.5" by 10") and bends (pair of dog legs on the

8.5" axis) - with a great deal of swearing. I had tested a 1m section, and that had been fine - as the bends were slightly further apart than that. The full length liner proved very difficult to negotiate both bends, even whilst pushing at one end and pulling at the other. Whilst it did eventually pass through - I would avoid that much trouble again.

Mine was a liner for a woodburner - so somewhat stiffer than one designed for gas or oil boilers.

Reply to
dom

But what else can you do, rebuild the chimney? I could just ignore the regs and put in a 5" liner, thus saving agravation and money both on liner and the 5-6" adapter to the stove pipe.

Yep so is mine. I take it you used one of those cone things on the end?

Reply to
VisionSet

Are you sure a 6" is required? ISTR it's based on the power rating of the appliance - which for a woodburner is a vague guide figure.

Your liner may slip through easily - a slight difference in the smoothness of the bends would be all the difference. In extreme cases they end up cutting holes in the masonry to manipulate the liner round the bends by hand. I'd def drag through that 1m test piece.

Yup - very well attached cone and substantial polyprop rope - they both got a lot of load put on them.

Reply to
dom

I replaced my 5" flue liner with a 4" one as the new oil boiler's exhaust gas temperature was lower and a faster air flow was needed to reduce condensation. I just used a single lined one, but if I did the job again I would probably purchase a double lined one as they have a longer life. The old liner was quite perforated.

Contrary to all advice I actually pulled the liner up the chimney. It did get caught at one point but a bit of shaking got it past this point. Thereafter the job was quite easy. I poured Vermiculite down the chimney - again to prevent condensation.

Reply to
Michael Chare

To get 10m of 6" liner down my chimney I had to open a hole in the brickwork at the second kink in order to help it down (which fortunately was in the attic - which reminds me that I've still got to brick that hole back up). The mistakes I made were 1. Not making sure my homemade cone was attached well enough to the liner, meaning it came off and I had to start again. Much swearing. Should have bought the proper cone anyway. 2. not buying enough liner so that I was 150mm short of my stove pipe. Stove pipe is more expensive than liner.

Love my stove now it's in though. Just burning my way through an 8x4 pallet B&Q delivered plasterboard on about 2 years ago. Disappears very quickly.

Alistair

Reply to
Ali Mac