Woodburner flue size

Hi all

Our chimney is lined with a 6" flue liner. Is is possible/advisable to try to connect a woodburner with a 7" flue to the liner, and if not, what problems are there likely to be?

thanks in advance

Reply to
nicknoxx

It's not recommended because the stove with the 7" flue probably needs that size to get the gases away, flue gas massflow is proportoinal to heat output.

The chimney (and its seal to the stove) maintains a depression in the stove so that any small leaks allow air to enter the stove and prevent noxious gases getting into the room. Effectively constricting the flue gases will reduce this depression (or draw).

OTOH a 6" pipe is the mandatory minimum for a woodburner even if the stove outlet is 5".

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Check part J of the building regs on heat producing appliances - ISTR this is regulated:

dom

Probably not! But you could ask the stove manufacturer.

Flue length could be a factor. I think long flues cause more draft which might be a compensating factor.

Reply to
Michael Chare