Pellet stove venting/outside air

I'm installing a pellet stove insert in a masonry fireplace that is located
in the center of my home (no access to an outside wall) and would like to
add a outside air connection. I'm installing the exhaust flue (probably 4")
inside of a 10 inch diameter SS re-lined chimney. Can I terminate the
outside air connection inside of the chimney just above the damper blockoff
plate, assuming that I run the exhaust flue all the way up the chimney to
the cap (about 15 vertical feet)?
thanks in advance,
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net
Reply to
MAUREEN ROAN
Assuming you're having a local professional do this install, that is the person I'd ask about these options, because of familiarity with equipment and local code requirements.
HTH, J
Reply to
barry
Thanks for the suggestion. You might think that there would be consensus among installers, but I could not find one. Not many installers (mainly, chimney sweeps and maintenance people) that I spoke to felt that an outside air connection was desirable. I wrote the manufacturer and he said that outside air connection was "recommended", but no recommendation was found in the installation guide. The local code does not contain any recommendations for outside air for any kind of fireplace or fireplace insert.
Reply to
MAUREEN ROAN
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:27:55 GMT, "MAUREEN ROAN" wrote:
I used the outside air for my pellet stove to burn. Why spent money to heat the air then send it through the stove and outside. Beside cold or warm air burns the same. Mine had a small intake tube in back I increased the size to the 3" dryer vent pipe and used the same type of vent hood with the flap removed. Works good
Tom
Reply to
Trekking Tom
If you suck the outside air down alongside the exhaust pipe, you'll cool the exhaust pipe. I don't know if that's an issue with pellet stoves, but it would be with a woodstove. Also, unless you put some sort of baffle at the top, you risk sucking the rapidly cooling exhaust gasses back down the chimney as they exit the exhaust pipe. I can't offhand think of any terribly awful consequences of that, but it's probably not the behavior you want.
Reply to
Goedjn
You make some good points, but I don't think that a pellet stove sucks that much air. That being said, why worry about any outside air connection? I'll be running a 4 inch exhaust pipe up an 11 inch chimney liner. So why not draw down outside air around the 4 inch exhaust? Does it make sense? I guess it depends on the "air tightness" of your home. The manufacturers stipulate that an outside air connection is absolutely mandatory in a mobile home installation. My question then is: why not in a non-mobile home? If you have modern windows (which I am in the process of installing), any home could be air tight (not just mobile homes). And if you're running the pellet stove 24 hours a day, it might deplete a significant amount of air if there's no outside connection. Of course, all houses leak to some degree. My original question deals with whether not it's advisable to provide an outside air connection in a home that's not a mobile home.
Reply to
MAUREEN ROAN

Site Timeline Threads