pellet stove- room too small for sqft rating?

I have a small area (~500 sqft) that I'd like to heat with a pellet stove. The smallest pellet stove I can find is rated for 1500sqft; I know that with whole-house HVAC that you need to size the unit appropriate to keep it from kicking on and off too much (and getting uneven HVAC as a result)- is the same true with pellet stoves? I don't mind if it goes through fuel slower (bonus for me) but I don't want to fry that room or do something that might hurt the pellet stove itself.

I welcome any advice.

Thanks, Keith

Reply to
Keith

Stoves are usually rated to give you a rough idea of how much it can heat. Too large a stove will overheat the room unless you can move the heat out to other areas. I have a wood burning stove in my family room. That room will get up to 80 degrees while the rest of the house is in the 60's. I use a small fan to even out the temperatures a bit, but it is not as good as a real central heater. It was not designed to be. They are not easily "turned down" but the pellet stove may have better controls for that. With wood, burning a large stove too slow just makes for faster creosote buildup.

In any case, I think you will find that room very warm.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Doesn't it have a thermostat? You can experiment with the setting to regulate and stop from overheating.

Amy

Reply to
Amy

Pellet stoves are designed to feed pellets at multiple rates and thus provide variable heat. For example, a Whitfield Profile 20 or Profile

30 will have a "high", "medium" and "low" setting and these settings can be calibrated individually. A Harman pellet stove such as the P61 has a true variable speed control that allows the stove to produce between 8,000 and 61,000 BTUs of heat. In addition, any pellet stove with electric ignition can be controlled by a wall thermostat.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

If you have multi rooms and have a forced-air furnece circulate the heat using just the furnece squalcage fan,it pulls the air in the stove room and eventually it will even out the heat thruout the house plus your only using the low draw fan and doing this on low stove setting for the most part although you may need to kick it up until the house gets comfortable...works great.

Keith wrote:

Reply to
selfsuficient

I should have added,using your furnece to circulate pellet stove heat to all the rooms in the house is by far the most effecient method of moving heat but mainly it pretty much eliminated an overly warm stove room when I have it cranked up.

selfsuficient wrote:

Reply to
selfsuficient