How long does a bag of wood stove pellet last?

Tthe 40 lb bag. How long does it last, if say I burned a fire 8 hours a day or longer? Thanks.

Reply to
needin4mation

The question can't be answered. Depends on how hot/fast you are running the stove. Why don't you just try it, and find out?

Reply to
Dan C

In a 24 hour day I burn approx. 40-60 pounds.

Reply to
robson

A better question would be how many BTU's per bag. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Wood pellets average 8200 BTU/pound, so a 40 pound bag has about 330K BTUs. The newer stoves are probably 85%+ efficient, so that yields about

279K BTUs of delivered heat per 40# bag.
Reply to
Tim Killian

Because I don't want to spend $2000 on a stove for an experiment.

Reply to
needin4mation

That's sounds like it could be VERY expensive.

Reply to
needin4mation

At the current price of about $200/ton, wood pellets are about half the cost per BTU compared to propane or fuel oil. Natural gas is still cheaper, but that could change if the price surges this Winter.

Reply to
Tim Killian

take a look at

how much pellet wood you consume is a function of how big a fire you're burning

which is driven by: size of heated space indoor temp building insulation outdoor conditions

asking "How long does a bag of wood stove pellet last?"

is like asking "How long will a 40 lb bag of dog food last?"

forever if you don't have a dog, not very long if you're running a dog team everyday

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Hmmm.... I wonder if dogfood will burn in a pellet stove. No reason why it shouldn't.

Reply to
Goedjn

Reply to
JerryD(upstateNY)

replying to JerryD(upstateNY), dingo wrote: Ventless heaters put out pollutants like carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide into your breathing space...would could go wrong?

Reply to
dingo

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

Did the gerbils make it?

Reply to
Tekkie®

I didn't realize gerbils could cook

Reply to
ZZyXX

It will last for years of you don't burn it.

A friends of mine has a pellet stove and he loaded in a bag of pellets and it lasted over 6 months. Finally got used up in November. At that rate, I'd guess you can heat your house on two bags a year.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

funbags?