How long does shingle roof last?

If one gets a new asphalt? shingle roof with 20-year Monsanto? shingles, how long should it last? 20 years?

Mine is only 13 years old and has a small leak already. I can't see the back half of the roof from the ground, but the leak is in the middle, not by the chimney flashing.

I watched them put it on and they did a good job. They used famous name shingles, though I can't remember if it was Monsanto, 3M maybe.

Reply to
micky

Should have said Baltimore. Sunny summers but not over 95 for more than a dozen days a year.

No curling on the shingles I can see.

Reply to
micky

How do you know where the leak originates ? Even if you see the drip location in the attic - the actual leak could be above that point - at a vent flashing perhaps. It's time to have a professional go up and look. Hand him a can of roof patch when he goes. John T.

Reply to
hubops

My Ex got about 20 years out of her "20 year" roof about 40 miles south of you. Here in Florida we pretty much plan on about 70-80% of the guarantee. The guarantee is pretty useless too. It is the pro rated cost of what you paid for the shingles against the list price and does not include labor (the last time I read one).

Reply to
gfretwell

Not certain if my last house was 20 year but I think so. I got 22 years out of them and probably could have stretched a bit more.

Never heard of anyone making out with a warranty though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

13 if you are REALLY lucky. More likely 8 to 10

Most are TERRIBLE unless you buy the ultra premium shingles. NorthGate by Certainteed are good shingles that WILL last over 25 years.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

My last roof was a 25 year roof and it was WAY overdue at 13. Southwestern Ontario between London and Toronto

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Mine are 19 years old and look like new. GAF Timberline Architectural of some variety. "30-year." I told the roofer what I wanted. There's a big difference in the weight - a cheap shingle can be half the weight of a good shingle. Roofers prefer working with lighter shingles. The roofer balked a bit but caved easily. Just charged me more.

Get a roofer to look at it.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Shingles not curled or losing grit, they are OK. How do you know where leak is? It could be in some poorly sealed area and flowing down to someplace else. Best if you can observe it if you can see underside when it is raining. A roofer could find it and fix it but you may be able to do it yourself.

Shingle roof should last anywhere from 20 to 50 years.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

  How well ventilated is your attic space ? Heat buildup in the attic space can have a dramatic effect on shingle life . I went with steel here , has expected life of 40 yrs IIRC - and many here are older than that and still look great .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

And a key factor is what kind of shingles? The cheapest basic? Or heavier, architectural ones that not only look way better, but last longer. Got about 25 years here with basic ones that were on the house. New ones are architectural, heavier and should last longer.

Reply to
trader_4

Ventilation is about 25% more than recommended - attic temperatures are not a problem - nor is humidity

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Micky-

I agree that a pro roofer should be able to fix it.

Depending on your climate, it might last another ten years. Would that satisfy you?

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Instead of watching Judge Judy he could get up there himself. It should be inspected once ever couple years anyway to catch things like vent boots that are cracking, before they cause a leak and damage.

Reply to
trader_4

A roof inspection will only take a few minutes and he'll be back down in time for the Ellen DeGenerate Show.

Reply to
Patriot

  I see I'm not the only one that calls her that ... How do you feel about Rachel Rack ?
Reply to
Terry Coombs