Aga Flue (Conversion?)

Hi,

I currently have vertical open flued aga installed in my kitchen, through the chimney, on an internal wall. I am looking at changing this to an updated aga, and wonder if it is possible to convert a balanced flue set-up, in to the existing chimney?

I have found a balance flue system, but cannot place it where the current one is, as I cannot accomplish the regulations required.

Current install completed by myself, and any further work on the new intallation would be completed in this way.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Damian

Reply to
damo

Damian, please could you clarify what you are asking.

Do you mean that you are going to buy a new Aga with balanced flue and want to try to run that into the existing chimney, or that you want to get the current one changed to a balanced flue arrangement, or??

I believe that you can probably obtain the parts required to effect a conversion if it is one of the more recent models that has it as an option. You can contact the technical department at Aga Rayburn in Telford and ask - they are very helpful in my experience. Twyford Cookers is another source of help and spares for Aga products and may have older pieces as well.

If you are asking whether you can run a balanced flue into a conventional chimney then I would have thought not. If you meant that you are buying a new Aga, then you can get conventional flue anyway. I'm sitting in front of mine as I type this waiting for my perfectly prepared roast beef dinner.

Another option is the power assisted flue. These have a small fan in them and are intended to get you out of awkward flue situations because they can be run longer distances, in awkward places and use small pipe. Whether they can terminate into a chimney as opposed to outside, I am not sure, but again I doubt it. One other drawback is that the fan runs, of course, continuously. The sound level is very low (less than a typical fridge for example), but can be heard a couple of metres away in a perfectly quiet room.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks Andy,

I mean...

  • I have a Gas converted vertical open flue that runs in to standard house chimney.
  • I wish to buy a newer (not brand new - refurb) gas aga to use the same flue as I have presently, but the one I have found locally is a balanced flue.

I cannot accomodate the balaced flue as is with the kitchen as I cannot comply with the regulations for it (1 outer wall only containing 12ft x

4ft window!). Therefore I was hoping I could buy the balanced aga and somehow convert to the open flue that I currently have.

obviously if not then - I will look elsewhere - purely at open flue versions...

Hope this helps with my problem?

Again - thanks

Damian

Reply to
damo

Thanks Andy,

I mean...

  • I have a Gas converted vertical open flue that runs in to standard house chimney.
  • I wish to buy a newer (not brand new - refurb) gas aga to use the same flue as I have presently, but the one I have found locally is a balanced flue.

I cannot accomodate the balaced flue as is with the kitchen as I cannot comply with the regulations for it (1 outer wall only containing 12ft x

4ft window!). Therefore I was hoping I could buy the balanced aga and somehow convert to the open flue that I currently have.

obviously if not then - I will look elsewhere - purely at open flue versions...

Hope this helps with my problem?

Again - thanks

Damian

Reply to
damo

OK, now I understand.

I think it's pretty unlikely that it is possible to have some kind of external conversion from balanced to conventional flue, and you would need to accommodate the flue behind the cooker and have it forward from the wall anyway which you probably don't want.

It may be that the pieces are available to convert the cooker itself to conventional from balanced flue, but it may be substantial in cost and involve stripping the cooker right down. I think you'll need to ask Aga that question, but I suspect it wouldn't be economic.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ok Andy - Many Thanks

Ill let you know what aga say - if relevant!

Reply to
damo

I think that it will likely be "no" or "lots of shekels".

I'd be interested to know, though.

Reply to
Andy Hall