Flue Liner Question

Having decided to buy a new solid fuel Rayburn, I'm advised that even though I have an existing Rayburn and flue liner, I must have a new one fitted that is guaranteed to last at least as long as the appliance. Is this true, please?

Is this a DIY job? I have no idea how these things work. I assume you drop it in from the chimney (easily accessible here). How it is secured to the top? How does it fit over the end of the Rayburn flue - do you have to make a BFG hole in the wall so you can get your hands through to locate the liner over the top of the Rayburn flue? Is it likely the old one will come out easily? Or am I barking up the wrong tree (or just plain barking :-)).

Thanks.

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Probably :-(

Can be.

I have no idea how these things work. I assume you

Yes.

You can buy a plate with a bit of solid pipe through the middle. The flue is clamped to this and that stops it falling down the chinmey. Bed on mortar and put pot/cowl on top and mortar up.

Hmm. ISTR that there is an adapter plate above our aga somewhere that was clapped to the flue base.

If using flexible flue, its not too hard to pull it down so you can get teh stovepipe attached, and then push the lot back up and drop it back into teh stove.

If using a solid double walled flue, ou need to have it sort of pushed up out of teh chiney, before dropping back onto the stove. Fiddly. And bloody awkward if the flue is kinked.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks very much for that.

Regards,