What's your electricity usage?

I live in a terraced house, 2 beds + an unofficial one in the loft.

Heating is gas except for a little fan heater in the small kitchen which keeps the place just above cold, and a convection heater in the loft room controlled by a timer to heat the room to a comfortable temp during the infrequent hours that my son is in there. Cooking is electric.

Currently using 32Kw per day.

How does that compare with other's usage?

Reply to
R D S

Take out the night storeage heaters and we are normally around 20 kWHr/day. But when No.1 Daughter is home and the electric heater is on in her room it easily adds another 10 kWHrs. Power use plot shows it to be about 800 W on a 50% (ish) duty cycle 24/7.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Two of us in a 3-bed semi. Here most of the time. Only gas heating. Couple of small freezers, couple of PCs and a couple of TVs on almost permanently. Missus uses tumble drier most days !! !3.5Kws/day

Reply to
Andy Cap

That's 13.5 and I forgot the pond pump which is on 24/7.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Seems a tad high for the circumstances you describe...

about 40kWh/day... five bed, heating gas[1], cooking electric, too many computers and other electronic kit on 24/7, 250W of load 24/7 for pond pump and clarifier, and too many light bulbs! ;-)

[1] Except workshop which has a 2kW fan heater on a low temp stat to keep it in the low single digits (well insulated room though)
Reply to
John Rumm

16th January: 16.88Kw - 5 bedroom semi, gas CH on all day, no thermostat pump runs all the time, 2 PC's (go on when we get up turned off at bedtime!), 2 freezers, 2 fridges, electric cooking. Both retired so around during day. Oh, ...and a 3Kw fan heater in the greenhouse on a frost stat.

Using 0.55Kw per hour (OWL Monitor) as I write this.

Suggest you investigate - I once had a freezer that the control knob had been broken so that it looked as though it was on a reasonable setting, when in fact much colder than it should have been. Power consumtion dropped by 20% when adjusted properly - it was the increased consumption that caused me to investigate.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

3 bed semi, gas for water & central heating, almost all CFL/LED lighting (very little) electric cooking.
136kWh/month
Reply to
Andy Burns

Averaged over past 90 days 21.24kw/day. About 2100sq ft. Detached. Computers , CCTV +etc on 24 hrs/day. Lounge heat pump uses about

4KW/day, cheaper than whole house gas. Workshop, garage heat pumps use 50KW over 90 days, not used much. Good insulation.
Reply to
Capitol

4 bedroom house I used 7,370 over last 12 months ... but using fan heaters is expensive.
Reply to
Rick Hughes

Will depend a lot on the occupancy - is the house occupied during the day ?

Reply to
robert

Ta for all the replies.

I've been looking over past usage and we'd typically use between 300 and

500 units per month depending on time of year.

This has risen dramatically over the last few months and the only thing I can think of is that my teenage son has moved in with us (he's out 90% of the time), and we got a dishwasher in summer.

I wouldn't have though that would cause our usage to almost double, i'm going to have to get my dad hat on.

Reply to
R D S

No, we're both out at 9.00am ish and back in at 7.00pm 5 days per week. Son is at college, out at 7.00am & don't see him again until 11.00pm. In most of the weekend.

Reply to
R D S

A gaming spec PC left on 24x7?

Reply to
Andy Burns

There's a PC in the front room, it's not massive spec, a dual core summat with GT8800 graphics that's left on more than it should be, do they pull much on standby?

My missus tells me that she has to turn the lad's PS3 off every time she goes upstairs.

Reply to
R D S

Shouldn't do on standby.

rule of thumb, 1W = £1/year.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Gas central heating. House occupied 24/7. I use a 400w heater in a small room during the day. Cooker dual fuel,dish washer,tumble dryer,wash machine. Electric shower, and usual PC,TV,Fridge, freezer. . Average daily from 1/12/13 to 22/2/14 12.28kW

Reply to
ss

I've got a Dell XPS laptop with a duff battery, it gets turned off but never gets unplugged, I guess that's always drawing power?

Reply to
R D S

Probably not, unless the laptop or power brick stays constantly hot ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Cant you get the laptop/pc to go to sleep mode if not used after a given time? Not sure but there maybe a setting to auto turn off after a given time.

Reply to
ss

Use a plug-in power meter to check the PS3, it's a bit juicy. When my son lived with me, there was

2 x TV left on standby (1W each) 1 x PS3 left on (24W running about 11W on standby) 1 x Old style Sky box (24W standby or running), New HD boxes are better(ish). But - the TV in the bedroom was often left on when he fell asleep (100W plus), lights left on (changed to low energy, 280W down to 40W). The net result was that the 'leccy consumption halved when he moved out. The number of times that I came home to both TVs on, Sky box on, PS3 on, lounge and bedroom lights on and number one son out for the evening...... Grrrr..... My bill in this house is approx 160KWH (£25 a month + standing charge). Mind you this is now a 2 bed semi, I was in a 4 bed det (thanks Virgin Money/Northern Rock) :-) Dave
Reply to
snot