A good UPS post!

Since folks seem to flame ps a lot, I thought I should post this... I've also sent a thank you email to UPS..

I ordered a large assortment sanding stuff, stain and end sealer (like Anchor seal) and was really, really hoping that it would arrive early, as we just brought home a bunch of logs...

It was scheduled for delivery on the 17th, but the tracking page at UPS said that it was "out for delivery" on the 16th... It didn't get here... :(

On the morning of the 17th, the tracking page said "package damaged, sender being contacted"... oh shit.. I really wanted that end sealer.... I figured that I was going to go through the limbo that others have posted about.. USP and Klingor fighting while I waited to see who won..

On the afternoon of the 17th, the UPS driver showed up with the package and had me look at it... said that it was beat up but that I could check it out and see if I wanted to accept it! I took delivery, after he had me sign an addendum thing that said that some contents might be missing, (there were tons of little packs of sanding discs that could have gone out the tear) and that I could contact UPS about replacement after I checked the contents against the packing slip.. it was all there, and in good shape.. Thanks to the UPS driver, I can start cutting up the logs and sealing the ends today.. The bottom line, as I see it, is the driver didn't take the "easy way out" and just have it sent back, he took the trouble to check with me, knowing that I might be waiting for something that was time critical..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Well, lemme tell ya what happened to me with UPS. I was working in the gara... er, shop yesterday. I had my back to the open door. At some point I noticed a box containing the Bessey clamps I had ordered had been delivered and were leaning up against the door facing. I had been cutting some rabbetts and dadoes for some drawers and never heard the deliveryman.

I wish I didn't have to go to choir practice tonight. I can't wait to try the new clamps.

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Olebiker

Let me get this straight - they damaged your stuff, but afterwards delivered the damaged package in such a way that you're happy about it?

I'll bet you like it when Microsoft send out another security patch, too. "Gee, thanks for fixing that hole that should not have existed in the first place!"

Reply to
Joe User

It is still way better to deliver the damaged package than send it back when the contents are not damaged.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

That was kind of my reaction too... I immediately thought of the rulers I got from Lee Valley that came in a box that was bent in half- I was not particularly happy with them for dropping it off in that state. Luckily, LV took care of it right away, no thanks to the shipper.

Reply to
Prometheus

Aren't you guys missing the obvious here? That fact that the UPS guy let him examined the contents of the package and decide whether he wanted to keep the goods or not is what's important. I wouldn't care too much if the package I ordered was crushed with a steamroller as long as the contents were in good condition. After all, as long as the package survived long enough to prevent damage, who gives a rat's ass what condition it's in?

Reply to
Upscale

At least you got something. Last week FedEx brought me an empty box. Resealed, nothing in it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sometimes it's the seller that is at fault: they packaged the item or items poorly.

I just received a bandsaw by UPS. The bottom was broken. My first thought was the box seems awful flimsy for a 400 pound saw. The UPS man waited while I opened it (had to unscrew about 15 deck screws). We inspected it and decided it was ok. (Turned out one part was missing which may have fallen out of the box break or may have never been packed at all. The manufacturer overnighted it out, no problem).

I don't expect UPS to handle every package as if it contain fragile glass. Sometime they may be too rough, but most of the onus is on the packager, IMO.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

yep.. and I didn't even have to reboot the sealer that I need right away... like about when I placed my order *g*

What they did was bring the package out to let me look at it and choose whether to accept it on conditions, or send it back... Maybe it's just a language thing, but to me they didn't "deliver" it, but took the trouble to come out and discuss the problem... In this case, (no pun intended) it was not only stuff that I needed ASAP, but there wasn't anything breakable in the box... just a lot of abrasive disks and a jug of end sealer... if it was china or fragile tools, I would have told them to send it back without looking at the carton..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

exactly.. the recycle bin didn't care and it was easier to crush the box, since UPS started the crushing.. *lol Also, if they had just sent it back, I would have had to go pay retail for some of the stuff, so I could keep working, and them get a replacement shipment later.. my only concern, once I saw that the jug of sealer was ok (klingor used about 2 miles of shrink wrap on it), my only worry was that some of the 10 packs of 1" discs could have fallen out... but they pretty much gave me an open invitation to claim that something was missing.. (everything on the packing list was there)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

UPS (Universal Package Smashers) SUCKS almost as bad as Dell Computer.

Over 80% damage rate for items shipped to my home.

They suck, and that's all there is to it.

Now DHS, those guys are great...

Reply to
JC

FedEx brought me a crushed box last week. Didn't even ring the doorbell, just dropped it on the front step and slunk back to the truck. Fortunately the contents were all there and intact.

UPS normally rings the doorbell and then runs back to the truck.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Very true. There are standards to meet and tests to determine if you meet them. There are standards for cartons, tapes, methods of taping. There are formula for developing cushioned protective packaging. There are college degrees in packaging for those interested in a career. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sounds like Dell has the problem. Their packaging should be designed and tested to meet proper criteria. UPS has labs available to do the testing. If there are too many claims, UPS will refuse to take some items until they pass the test.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Don't think he's b-ing about Dell's packaging...ime, their packaging is the best part. :) Actually, if the machine works, they have a good deal. If you ever need support, that's a nightmare. :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:Pc_ie.1224$H24.94 @newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

I used to get marketing plans FedEx'd to me. The box was sealed, unharmed, but nothing of value was contained therein. ;-)

Reply to
Patriarch

You are correct, sir. Dell's packaging is outstanding, their products are just great. Their support, as you suggested, is another matter entirely.....

JC

I'm of the understanding that they found that outsourcing pissed off customers, declared it a failure, and "re-insourced" it?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

only for large business customers

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I'm talking even before the outsourcing...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth