leaning fence post

Have 6x6" corner fence (cedar) post that is in 2.5' of concrete..it is starting to lean outward...anyway to get it upright and make sure it stays 90 degrees..do not want to rip it out..big and heavy..thanks.. no problems with the remaining posts..

Reply to
cc

"Outward" implies _away_ from direction of fence loading??? Makes not much sense what would cause it to move in such a direction. W/ that kind of stuff around the base, makes me wonder if it hasn't rotted off at or just below ground level. More force in other direction to compensate for whatever is causing the current movement is solution if not. Otherwise, ground has to be soft for some reason to allow the whole thing to move. What kind of fencing? Something else has to give for it to be able to move as well.

Reply to
dpb

Hi, Sounds like to me, the ground is moving? If it leans like that won't it rip the fence apart? I never used concrete fence post. Tho always ensured good drainage around it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
bamboo

The 2.5' of concrete in the ground actually don't help very much. Think about a large circular disk near the surface. This will provide bearing surface that will prevent the post from tilting over.

Reply to
Stubby

use a come-along to pull the post in and re-tamp around the perimeter and add drainage stones with fabric over them.

Reply to
kitchens etc.

Lots of strange things go on underground. Some of the Disney movies deal with this.

Take off at least the top rail, parallel to the lean, from the fence post and attach a comealong between this post and the next one.

Then crank it and straighten the post. Oh, yeah, this didn't work when I tried it, until I flooded the earth around the post with a garden hose for maybe 30 minutes, maybe an hour, maybe longer. Put at least some of the water on uphill some from the post to make sure it sinks in before it just runs off, and only wets the top inch or two. After I did that it went well. Not easily but steadily. Then renail the rail back to the post to hold the post in place.

The concrete helps keep it from moving, but what is the concrete attached to? Does it have a steel bar connecting it to the center of the earth, or to the Hoover Dam? The concrete is like a ball that floats on the dirt like everything else we have does that doesn't go all the way to bedrock. (Not sure all bedrock is really rock all the way down.)

At about 20 years, one of my 38? inch above ground fence posts started to lean outwards, and it did have weight of the gate on it, but I don't think that was the reason. It had that same weight for the first 20 years wihtout leaning. I don't think it was rot either, because like I say I couldn't get it to move until I flooded the ground, and when it did move, it was IMO as if it were full length. (There are 2 or 3 feet below ground.)

Reply to
mm

... add 2 diagonal rails like this, viewed in a fixed font:

||\\\\----|| ||-\\\\---|| ||--\\\\--|| ||---\\\\-|| ||----\\\\|| ||-----\\||

or horizontal rails and diagonal wires like this:

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

This won't work for me - my fence only has proportional fonts installed.

BTW - I was at the Syracuse game yesterday. You guys started out strong, but it didn't last. Oh well, Good Luck for the rest of the season.

- kitchens etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03