Post setting foam?

Has anyone tried the post setting foam/epoxy mixes? One here at Amazon:

or

I guess utility companies use something like this for setting power poles. Yet it isn't recommended for decks and such. My thought was to use it for posts holding electrical panels. NEMA 4 pump panels specifically, and the VSD panels for well motors up to 100 hp. It seems odd utilities will use it to hold power lines up and yet this stuff isn't recommended for decks. It is just an issue of slow building code changes?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

| |

This is the first I've heard of it. It sounds hokey to me. Like a high density version of spray foam insulation. Maybe it's a good time saver for situations where the job doesn't have to be done very well, like a mailbox post or realtor's sign.

I don't use anything for fence posts. Setting them in concrete tends to make them rot faster. I like to just dig them down deep. For decks, footings are needed and the post isn't buried, so I don't see how it would be relevant in that usage.

Reply to
Mayayana

Seems like an expensive alternative to a $3 bag of concrete.

Reply to
CRNG

I was wandering around a Home Depot and saw a sign for Sika Post Mix. One $11 bag is supposed to replace two 50 pound bags of concrete mix. Quikrete is $5.50/bag. There's a company called Rainbow Tech that makes the utility pole setting foam. Home Depot also sells something called Secure Set. We've been setting posts for mounting panels by dumping concrete mix in the holes then tamping it. I use a ground rod for the tamper. We mount the panels immediately. This foam stuff looked like a possible alternative.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman