post pounding through wet areas

Hello.

I'm just looking to get some advice on installing fencing through a slough/low lying wet area. The fence posts are for horse fencing, and are 4.15" dowelled round posts.

I can't get a hydraulic post pounder in there because of the water and soft ground. I'm hoping there is some other way aside from a manual post pounder or large equipment.

Thanks! Corey

Reply to
coreyd

Hello.

I'm just looking to get some advice on installing fencing through a slough/low lying wet area. The fence posts are for horse fencing, and are 4.15" dowelled round posts.

I can't get a hydraulic post pounder in there because of the water and soft ground. I'm hoping there is some other way aside from a manual post pounder or large equipment.

Thanks! Corey

Reply to
coreyd

At the risk of seeming overly pragmatic...

If you can't get machinery in to do it, you're pretty much stuck with good ol' elbow grease and the post driver. Watch yer lift... Them things is nasty if they get a bite of ya. DAMHIKT

Reply to
Don Bruder

Well, there's always a manual post hole digger. Wet dirt doesn't tamp well so you'd have to use sand or quickcrete to fill the hole back in. Tamp either one in just as you would dirt. Ya know, someone on this group had used post holes for sale or rent some time ago.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Do you have time to wait till it freezes? Make a fire where the post should go the night in advance and pound them in.

Reply to
prairie farm

earthquake 1 Person Gas Powered Earth Auger

2 hp TC300 2-cycle engine Tough yet lightweight, this one person auger features a 22 lb. powerhead with a 49cc engine Anti-vibration foam grip handlebars Solid steal, heat-treated alloy gears 2-1/2" heavy-duty centrifugal clutch Anti-vibration foam grip handlebars Solid steel easy-to-grip throttle control 30:1 gear ratio Maximum 200 auger rpm 2" to 10" diameter earth augers options available Power auger extensions Heavy-duty replaceable blades

Item #: 41644 Model: E43 $222.00

cut and past Item #: 41644 into search field.

when it's not cutting holes for fence post with a small auger bit then it's using one of the larger augers to cut holes for planting trees and shrubs. don't think you'll use this tool once and then watch it sit in the corner of the garage yelling at you how you spent the money for only one job. nope, that won't happen since you'll find all sorts of ground breaking uses for your earthquake 1 Person Gas Powered Earth Auger.

need a hole in the ground, earthquake 1 Person Gas Powered Earth Auger is the right solution for those one man jobs.

auger bits sold separately.

Reply to
Jim Ledford

You can drive t-posts with a t-post driver thingy - it is a heavy tube of metal with two handles that you manually bang down onto the t-post to drive it into the ground; no post holes required. Ear protection is nice. 'Course, t-posts aren't the safest posts for horses, but they make plastic caps for them that also conveniently hold hot wire or tape. You can even get caps with vinyl rails that run between them. Or you can get pvc or vinyl t-post sleeves to go over each one after you've driven it in. Attach non-climb or hot tape/wire/rope.

good luck! cindi

Reply to
cindi

Ooohhh! Used post holes! I want some of those! It must be so much easier than digging them yourself. :-) Are they hard to ship?

Reply to
Joyleen Seymour

I use a sledgehammer, but you need something to stand on. I cover the metal posts with PVC pipe, topped with a cap. Much cheaper than the commercial models. I drill holes for the electric fence insulators. The posts look great.

Reply to
Joyleen Seymour

The good news is that pounding in posts manually in wet areas is really easy. I installed lots of T posts this year by hand and it was no problem at all. For the corner pieces with the more substantial wooden posts I used a double bladed shovel to make 2ft holes then set with quick dry. The double bladed shovel was pretty work instensive, but again, not so bad in the wet ground. As the weather got drier this whole job got a lot tougher, but luckily I was almost done by then.

snipped-for-privacy@> Hello.

Reply to
BothFeet