Storm

Big storm came to California, then jumped on jet (stream) and is headed East. Lots of snow, it was predicted for here, but went south of us instead, so not even a drop of rain. But Cold... it left cold in its wake, 19 degrees last night..So cover up your tender plants, it's on its way.

Emilie Nor Cal

Reply to
mleblanca

Presently, 34F in Santa Rosa CA at 6:30PM. I hope my lemons survive.

I realize that this is a yawner to people in Omaha, but we are frost tender here in California, and not used to this kind of weather.

Reply to
Wildbilly

The moisture that came up from the Gulf of Mexico in that huge storm front slammed into us sometime during the early hours of the morning. The front yard that gets way too much moisture and water was already showing it's little "lakes". It then proceeded to thump down on and off all day. Slow down to a steady pisser, then thump down again. I took the dog with me to the post office and the bottom fell out three times in fifteen minutes. Since I can't find my rain gauge anywhere, I'm asking the garden fairy to leave me a visible one to put up so I can see it from the house.Went out and hung some suet for the birds to let them know there was energy food for them. The idiot female feline, Maggie decided she was too good to get her knickers wet, and had it been old Pester's, he'd endured the rain and enjoyed it on his krusty skin. He took a walk about and hasn't returned, so hopefully someone hasn't freaked with his ugliness and sees his sweet and loving nature and hears his incredible motorboat purr. He was with me for fifteen years. Now that Sugar dawg has lost Smeagol, AND Pest, she has become "Needy dawg" and even Maggie (aka Miss SQUACK) has changed her ways. But the weather below us in,Tupelo, Mississippi was in tornado watches, and behind THAT are serious winds and a cold front that will give me a taste of what I left behind in Eastern Tennessee. I have planted Schizostylis plants in my raised bed, and will mulch them with five inches of leaves and chopped yard grass to protect them. It's going to go down to 19=B0 here as well, and I'm not sure if they can take it. There is also that Mexican petunia, Ruella that Victoria sent me in the same pot as the daylily and I'm not sure it can take such frigid temperates, and I adore that plant. It quietly cranked out soft blue flowers all the summer even when we moved it here! So in spite of the sogginess I am tromping down to the lower yard and grab up a garden cart of leaves and chopped grass that the neighbor was so generous to bring and dump in my lower "40" as I call it here. With the sogginess and excessive moisture (we were in flash flood warnings all day it's low lying here) we'll really feel the cold, and now it looks like we may get snow as well. Now snow, I can deal with! Went outside and saw that ALL my California poppy seeds were not only up but had their third set of leaves on their ferny little stems. I hope they come through the frigid temperatures. They're planted on the southern side of the house and backed by a brick wall. The seed fairies were tucked in all the assorted containers of perennials and sedums and succulents and sempervivums hidden where I couldn't detect them, and I got a really bad case of seed sowing and I scattered everything around again like a crazed middle aged lunatic. Its a good time to sort through all those boxes we haven't unpacked yet, and find better places for my desert plants. The African blood lily is almost completely dormant with just a few leaves hanging on before they yellow and dry up. There are a few things to catch up on over the fence here so soon as I get things organized, I'll throw out a ramble. Good to see you Emilie! (maddie waving over the fence grinning) madgardener transplanted now in zone 7b gardening in an area she's never experienced before, putting together the new Faerie Holler with the survivors of the old Faerie Holler and some new residents.

Reply to
madgardener

The message

from madgardener contains these words:

I took the dog with me to the

Hi Maddie.. curious minds have to know; fell out of what, and was it your bottom or the dog's?

Or does a bottom mean something else there

Janet ( rained on in Scotland)

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

My old dog has a hernia too. It doesn't seem to worry him that much but he can no longer have bones as he cannot eliminate them, which is sad 'cause he used to love them.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

ROFLMAO...................you got me there, Janet. Sugar dawg went with me to the post office, the "bottom fell out" meant that the clouds opened up and it tipped down, or thumped as me English husband says frequently..... BTW..........HOWDY JANET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (maddie waving across the pond) how is it there in yer neck o' the woods girl?? send me updates on life. would love to get a holler from yew. madgardener gardening in zone 7b and watching the thick frost accumulate on everything outside tonight (lows supposed to be 19=B0)

Reply to
madgardener

The bottom fell out means that it rained so hard that it was as if "the bottom fell out" of a bucket full of water. Sploosh! Now that's a hard rain!

Yes I'm glad to see you too, Janet. Have been wondering what you were up to. Last night was warmer here, Cloud cover. But today was cold and barely got to low 40's. Tomorrow should bring some rain (Maybe) if El Nino comes across with some warmer air and some moisture. We surely do need it.

Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca