Garbage disposal --- Quick and cheap

My 15 year old garbage disposal sort of bit the dust. After removing it, I think it can be repaired, but too late, the new one is in place. This is sort of a mundane story,but there is money to be saved if you look around. I knew what I wanted, a batch feed unit from either KitchenAid (what we had) or InSinkErator (same thing, different brand).

When we first had the problem, my wife said "want to run to Lowes", but I declined and decided to hit the internet first.

Lowes carried the model I wanted KBDS100T for $429 + tax ($455.81 total in CT). They did not have it in stock, but would have it by May

1 for pickup in the store.

Amazon had it for $349 +$15.72 shipping. Sold by AJ Wholesale. In stock.

Click, Click on to Abt.com an electronics supplier out of Chicago area. $325 including shipping.

I never ordered from them, but took a chance. It was ordered on Tuesday night, shipped on Wednesday via UPS and delivered on Friday.

Installed it this morning in less than an hour, including looking for the *@#$ screwdriver my grandson used. $130 still in my pocket.

I really like to shop local and support local merchants, but $130 takes a while to earn. It wills till be spread around local though. Instead the appliance store, that money bought us lunch today, some new shirts, etc. Buying a new shirt buys a bowl of rice for the kid that sewed it in Bangladesh.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed, I've appreciated reading your posts, over the years. You display common sense, which is sorely lacking. Especially in me!

My Dad had a sign over his desk, when he was employed:

GOOD FAST CHEAP (choose any two)

Again, you demonstrate the wisdom of my Dad's sign.

.

[...]

Stormin Mormon

Maybe I shouldn't show you this, but can't help it:

$199 with free shipping

I now go to Ebay for anything and everything like that as a source of pricing and info. Many times you can find the thing you want and better info on it than at online retailers.

That's one mighty disposal you have. You're not grinding up body parts are you?

Reply to
trader4

I got one of these (not from costco) and love the idea of a lifetime free in house replacement. not to mention it's way cheaper. Got mine via Amazon, costco didn't carry it at the time

$139.99 Shipping & Handling included * The estimated delivery time will be approximately

7 - 10 business days from the time of order.

The Waste King 1 HP Food Waste Disposer offers the convenience of mounting to any existing sink flange and is backed by the industries only in-home LIFETIME replacement warranty.

For new installations, the Waste King 1 HP Disposer comes equipped with a professional 3-bolt mounting system, a precision engineered five-piece system designed to be fast and easy.

If you are replacing an existing disposer there is no need to remove your sink flange. Simply use the Waste King 1 HP Disposer supplied splash guard and easily install the new unit. This splash guard lets you switch to a reliable Waste King

1 HP Disposer without spending additional time removing an existing sink flange.

The Waste King 1 HP Disposer comes with the best and longest warranty in the industry, LIFETIME in-home warranty, which demonstrates a commitment to quality.

Features:

  • Replacement Instructions * 1 Horsepower * Mounts to any existing sink flange * Professional 3-bolt mounting system * Vortex powered (permanent magnet motor technology) * Less jamming (no jam wrench necessary) * Corrosion proof grinding chamber * Sound insulated for quiet operation * Front mounted reset button * Septic safe (for properly sized systems) * Attached power cord * Dimensions: 16.0625" H x 8.5" W * Warranty: Lifetime in-home replacement

With the Waste King 1 HP Food Waste Disposer you can rest assured you are purchasing the most environmentally responsible unit on the market today. Tests have shown that Waste King disposers are set apart from the competition by using permanent magnet motor technology, innovations in use of plastics, raw materials and packaging designs. Waste King Disposers are committed to helping protect the planet earth.

Green Features:

  • Use less energy and water * Lower current draw * No foam in packaging * Packaged in recycled corrugated * Less copper in windings than induction motors * Less Overall shipping weight and volume * Less paint per unit on disposers
[Model 9980] Standard shipping via UPS Ground is included in the quoted price. The estimated delivery time will be approximately 7 - 10 business days from the time of order. *Delivery is available to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. An additional Shipping and Handling fee will apply to shipments going to Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico. This fee will be quoted at checkout. Additional transit time may be required. Costco.com products can be returned to any of our more than 600 Costco warehouses worldwide.
Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

$325

$199

$140

Do I hear $125 gentlemen, going once, going twice.....

Reply to
trader4

But, wait! I'll throw in the ginsu knife, the potato peeler, and a Billy Mays sun glasses.....

.

$325

$199

$140

Do I hear $125 gentlemen, going once, going twice.....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Everybody else is tossing out prices, so I'll toss out a question...

Why do you want a batch feed unit? Just curious.

I've only had continuous feed units, and I've bought them *because* they were continuous feed. I'd rather just wash (or push) my waste down the hole, turn on the water and flip a switch.

Why do you want to have to use a stopper to turn it on? My InSinkErator has a stopper, but I only use it if I want to fill the sink.

What's the attraction of a batch feed unit?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

lifetime warranties? i have had some, nearly every company either went out business or just canceled the lifetime warranty:(.........

whos lifetime is the question for lifetime warranties??

my best friend bought 2 sunoco true blue batteries. Sunoco tried canceling the warranty but lost in court....

he ended up getting free vehicle batteries for 35 years. at one point they refunded the purchase price:)

he made out great.

Reply to
bob haller

I did see an ad for an ebay seller, maybe it was that one, but I did not check it out. I'm still a little cautious about stuff from ebay sellers. Maybe overly so. When they first started, ebay was a good source for odd 'n' ends, usually used and cheap. Maybe the stigma still exists with me and I'm afraid I'd be buying a reject pulled out of the town dump. I'm probably 99.999% wrong about that though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

But it is continuous feed, not batch.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

First is the fact that I don't have to fish wires to install a switch on the wall, or, inconveniently inside the sink cabinet. With a window right over the sink and cabinets on either side, it would be a PITA to do it now.

Next, my daughter is less likely to drop spoons and knives into it when running.

I don't recall ever having enough garbage at one time to need a long run and lots of feeding so that is not a factor for us.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed, for what it's worth, I felt the same way as you about 5 years ago till I took a chance and I can't tell you how many purchases I've made exactly but I'd say at least 20 and tho my experience is just one person, I've had no problems. I only (except once) buy from top rated sellers (gold ribbon icons). Once I bought a genuine windows 7 dvd and right after I bought it, ebay removed the ad saying it didn't conform to something and I got worried so I emailed the seller on a Sunday and he emailed me soon after saying they were wrong. It appears he was right and I believed him because of his quick reply on a Sunday. And just for any skeptics, the win 7 was legit because I registered it with MS to get updates and still get them.

I will say tho, ebay is not always the cheapest source so you really have to do comparison shopping. I don't recall all the ways to pay for ebay purchases but I use paypal linked to my credit card. You can use a bank acct # in place of the CC but I prefer to use my CC because I feel better protected that way.

Reply to
Doug

Who's lifetime, theirs or yours ?

Reply to
Doug

I used to love ebay and have never had a bad experience-- but there are fewer and fewer good deals there, IMO.

I've been finding good prices on Amazon's 'other vendors' lately. So far- so good. Actually got to test the system last month when a youngster listed an upgrade version of some software as a full version. He was hemming and hawing about the refund, so I gave up and dropped a line to Amazon. Within an hour I got an email from him offering a full refund with postage both ways. [which was processed as soon as he got the software back]

That's one problem in 15-20 great deals-- and it was resolved as soon as Amazon got involved.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I have the same situation. I installed the switch on the wall below the upper cabinet 20 years ago when I installed the first disposal. Sure, it was a PITA at the time, but I've had 20 years of no regrets.

The InSinkErators (ISE) have a rubber baffle that fits in the drain to prevent large objects from going in. I used to have the spoon problem with a Kenmore model but I have never had anything go drain that I didn't want since I installed the ISE over 5 years ago.

The design of the baffle serves 2 purposes: it prevents large objects from entering the drain and it reduces the sound tremendously. The sound reduction feature is even written up in the literature.

The other thing nice about the ISE baffle is that it is removable. The old Kenmore baffle was sandwiched between the sink and drain flange so that when it began to wear out, that's when the spoon problems began. With the removable baffle, it gets much less wear and tear during the rare times I remove it for large pieces of debris and is also easily replaced if it ever wears out. Replacing the worn Kenmore baffle meant dropping the disposal and dismantling the drain, so it never happened.

To each his own, but I'm not talking about "long runs". I just talking about flipping the switch while rinsing the sink with the spray hose.

Anyway, enjoy your new unit. I hope you get many years of satisfaction from it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

We had an insinkerator that was lightly used and it self destructed (the pin that anchors one of the "hammers" sheared off).

I replaced it with a waste king. The waste king has a much simpler and much better design and works really well. The simpler design makes it much quieter. It also has the rubber baffle which makes it difficult for spoons etc to fall in.

Reply to
George

I was equally impressed with Amazon. Several years ago I had a bogus charge of like $150 charged on my CC from Amazon. I recall it was in the holiday season. I first called my CC and they were looking into it but I decided I didn't want to wait to see the outcome even tho I knew it was bogus. So I called Amazon and within a short time (I think a day or less) they came back and agreed it was bogus and said they would credit my CC and did. I was definitely impressed with their customer service. I recall I did make some purchases before from them but I think the previous purchase from the bogus purchase was like a year before. I don't know how they determined my bogus charge was bogus as I didn't ask questions. I was just happy to get to the bottom of it. I do remember the charges were for books.

Reply to
Doug

I've done over a 100 Ebay buys now and overall the experience has been excellent. I only had one bad experience and that was around 12 years ago. It was one of the earliest transactions I did.

A guy was selling 1970's vintage Mercedes alloy wheels. He had a picture of a wheel in perfect condition and in the listing stated that they were "like new". I bought them for I think about $175. After I had paid for them, he then said he can't ship them for awhile because he has to take them off the car. Which got me suspicous because the pic was of a wheel that was not even mounted.

So, I asked some questions, and he then tells me, "They are like new. Twenty year old like new. Some elbow grease from you and they will look new." At which point I new he was full of BS. So, I told him that if they were not "like new" and were wheels that had been in use for 20 years, finish shot, curb scrapes, etc to just give me my money back now and not waste money shipping them because I would dispute the Ebay transaction. Of course, being a complete shyster, he refused and started sending me profanity laced emails.

So, I started a dispute with Ebay before he even shipped them. An Ebay arbiter basicly looked at all the emails, his listing, pic, etc and tried to talk him into giving me the money back. He refused, claiming it was just buyers remorse. So, he finally ships the 4 wheels about

3 weeks later.

I have never received any package in the way that he shipped them. It was two boxes that were falling apart, two wheels in each box. Just a few sheets of newspaper tossed in. Not even crumpled up newspaper. The wheels just banging around inside. I'm surpised UPS even accepted it. The wheels were as I expected. Looked like they had been used for

30 years, all shot to hell, completely cruded up, finish shot, curb rash everywhere. Far worse than the wheels I was looking to replace. The pic he had used was one he had taken from some place on the web. It was NOT any one of the wheels as evidenced by the fact that none of the wheel weight locations even matched.

So, now having pictures of the actual wheels, Ebay forced him to reverse the transaction. I had to repack them and pay for the return shipping. Which is why I was trying to get the jerk to avoid the whole trouble and expense of him shipping them and then me sending them back, but he wouldn't listen. I wound up out about $40 bucks on the deal.

But I learned a few things from that deal and have never really had any problems since. As to the wheels, I decided to get the ones I had refinished. Sent them out to a shop in PA that did a superb job and they now do look like new.

Reply to
trader4

How long did it last before it "self destructed". (BTW...how else would you expect a disposal to go bad other than "self destruction"?)

Just like any other brand and device, there are various models from entry level to luxury. There are also the occasional faulty unit.

The model I have (the same model I installed for my parents and parent- in-law's) have been running at least 5 years each. I know that's not a long time, but we've not experienced a single problem in that time.

I don't think InSinkErators would have the reputation they do if they were prone to self destructing, especially with "light use". Maybe you just got a bad unit, who knows.

As far as quiet, the sound proofing baffle used on the Evolution series (and probably some other series) makes them so quiet that I sometimes forget mine is on until I turn the water off. Once the debris is ground up and not sloshing around inside the disposal, the running water is louder than the unit. Based on that, when I installed my parents and parent-in-law's units I used a lighted switch so that they would always know when it was running.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I've had a couple of purchases from Amazon that sorta went sideways before Amazon stepped in and set everything right. They're definitely on my 'A' list.

Reply to
krw