Fixing a gate to a concrete post

Hello,

I'm thinking of building a closeboard fence to divide the front garden from the side garden and I need to put a gate somewhere along the run.

I was planning on using Slotted conrete posts, gravel boards etc - but how do you fasten a wooden gate to a conrete post ???

Cheers in advance, Tim.

Reply to
Tim Jenkins

Attack the post with a masonary drill. Affix the gate timbers using normal Plasplugs and screws etc. The big problem is not allowing the drill to hit the steel (usually 1/4") reinforcing wires that run through the post from top to bottom. There's usually about 4 of them spaced equally. Best to try drilling a test hole or two, to make sure you're to one side of the rebars. Aim towards the centre of the post, to avoid the concrete 'spalling' if screwing too near to the edge. regards john

Reply to
John Jardine

It is normal for concrete posts to be precast with bolt holes for the purpose of hanging a gate,or for just gate posts use concrete spurs and bolt oak posts to them for gate.I would have thought you could get this info from a supplier

Reply to
alex

Use farm-gate-type hinges - where the hinge pin is L-shaped, with the threaded horizontal part passing through the gate post (you'll have to drill suitable holes with an SDS drill) and held in place by a nut.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills