Fixing gate to concrete post

I keep getting let down by people coming to fit driveway gates, so I decided to have a go myself, however, I don't want to drill through the concrete posts. Are there fixings I can get that will allow me to hang the gates without drilling holes in the posts. Thanks

Reply to
Dee

Sounds difficult. It depends on how heavy and big your gates are but these MIGHT be of some use if it's a very light gate?

Murmansk

I thought if you were going to fit a gate to a post you used posts that already had holes though them for that purpose?

eg, Our paneled fence uses slot in panels including the one next to the gate, but that only has a slot in one side for the panel and then a plane face for the gate 'frame'.

Assuming the wrong posts are already in place, I believe you may be able to drill through the post if you stay in the middle and don't touch the reinforcing rods (they cast the holes though the middle after all) and there may be external ironwork you can buy but I'm not familiar with any.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well I've seen wooden posts on concrete posts using some kind of metal straps around the concrete posts, and the wood which has the hinges or latch. Obviously not ideal and would need to be painted to stop rusting but these things are out there. I almost imagine something like those packaging banding machines which tightens them them crimps on a clamp and cuts the end of. I'm sure there is a name for them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff