Took the guard off my big strimmer

It's much better. I can get it into all sorts of corners and even on open ground it's much faster. First time out I got a broken ankle from a half-brick and a mouth full of dog shit, but hey, it was worth it. Off to A & E now.
Bill
On 19/05/2018 19:43, Bill Wright wrote:

gawd you make me laff bill.
On 19/05/2018 20:25, Jim K wrote:

Tried to do a video selfie but dropped the iPhone and it nearly got well strimmed.
Bill

Very silly thing I once did when young was attach a small circular saw blade to one of those flexidrives you can use with a drill by mounting the blade on a nut and bolt that was gripped by the chuck. Intention was to use it in a confined space. The chuck didn’t grip the bolt terribly well and before long the blade detached and bounced around the space like some sort of oriental weapon. I was lucky to get away with just a minor cut.
GH
Marland presented the following explanation :

I needed to compact down some fine brick rubble between the 1" wide gaps of paving slabs. Idea was to allow some drainage between the gaps. I got the bright idea of welding a short bit of 1" steel rod onto an old SDS chisel, with the intention of using the SDS on roto stop to compact it down. I misunderstood the roto stop graphic on the side of the SDS and set it for impact + rotation, so the first time I used it, the rod rotated and gave my ankle a right wack and ripped the skin.
My 'compactor' worked absolutely fine, once my pain had subsided enough to try it again.
On 19/05/2018 21:14, Bill Wright wrote:

A pity you could then have bought an Android
--
Adam

On Sat, 19 May 2018 19:43:48 +0100, Bill Wright

Apparently, diced slug is another acquired taste. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 20/05/2018 00:05, T i m wrote:

Aren't these guards an EU requirement? Once we are free ....

I think they are a requirement when used in an 'official' capacity yes.

I'm not sure if these things weren't brought in via the EU (that are mostly requested by member states) they wouldn't be brought in by 'us' (directly) in any case?
The thing is, I have no issue with anyone choosing to ignore any of the (realistic / practical) safety guidelines as long as they are equally happy to be ignored by the health system (that is paid for by those who are still at work because they weren't stupid enough to take liberties and become a burden for no reason).
So I agree with you though and (within reason [1]) I believe in many cases that 'Darwin should still rule'. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
[1] If you actively take a guard off of something (whoever mandated it should be there) and it results in you injuring yourself isn't quite the same as say accidentally doing something with a chemical that mixed with something else becomes dangerous.
T i m wrote:

Anybody watching Barnwood Builders? I'm not sure the concept of Safe System of Work has ever troubled them.
They are pretty good with their chain saws, and even deployed an 18" hand-held circular saw, but no visible PPE.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

Where are we going to mount the cord trimmer?
--
Tim Lamb

On 20/05/2018 00:05, T i m wrote:

Not too bad with a bit of mayo.
--
Adam

Or if you are a council worker you wear huge boots, and a pair of goggles and dent every care parked near the verge and sandblast all pedestrians, and you do not hear them screen as the ear defenders are very effective indeed. Brian
--
----- -
On Sun, 20 May 2018 08:19:23 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

More likely a visor, if they bother with anything.

More likely spray most cars with grass clippings and break the odd window ...

They are supposed to give people a chance to get past (stones and noise) but many don't ...

Again, if they are wearing any ... ;-(
Cheers, T i m
p.s. Daughter only broke one window when strimming and that was in her own van. ;-(
On 20/05/2018 8:19 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:

Yep, the council workers I witness should be taking more care with themselves and the people in their 'operating area'.
Over a period of 5 years, I was part of a hard-landscaping team that did quite a bit of tidying up and we would use Stihl's industrial strimmers. No one was ever hurt but, I did witness what these things can throw up; then can launch a stone like a bullet.
A local greenkeeper had a nasty eye injury after a stone went through his hi-grade face mask. Even being well prepared does not guarantee safety.
Ray.
On Saturday, 19 May 2018 19:43:48 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:

Could have been worse, you might have broken your spectacles.
Owain